Create an account

or

Thread June 27, 2015 editorial: comments

• 7 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 June 27, 2015 editorial: comments

The Half-Million Dollar Guitar

While researching a story this week on selling gear online, I was looking under “electric guitars” on eBay, and just for grins decided to sort the search results from the highest to lowest price. What I found at the top of the list was shocking, to say the least. No, it wasn’t a vintage Strat or Les Paul. It was a “Vintage Rare Steinberger GL7TA” guitar for $498,200. I kid you not. But the good news is that shipping is only $2,500.

Next below that was a ’61 Les Paul custom for $100,000, followed by the “First Kramer Guitar off the Assembly Line,” also for 100K. Then another Steinberger, this one a steal at just $99,995, and a ’58 Les Paul for $80,000 — getting into bargain territory, I guess.

Then I decided to do a bit of a reality check, and I filtered the results to show only listings that actually sold. Wow, very different story. At the top of the list was a Slash signature Les Paul that sold for $33,800, and a 1959 Gibson ES 335 for $21,611. Although those are still ridiculous prices that only rich collectors can afford, it’s interesting to note that prices of vintage guitars that actually sold were in a much lower range than were those unsold items.

I guess the moral of the story is that when you’re selling something, what you hope to get for an item for and what you can actually sell it for may be wildly different. So price realistically.

And while we’re on the subject of selling gear, Audiofanzine just unveiled a new classified section, where you can post ads to sell your gear and instruments — yes, even your rare Steinbergers.

If you ask a marketing expert about important factors for selling, one of the main things they’ll stress is reaching a targeted audience. With our classified section, your audience of potential buyers will be your fellow AF members, who are predominantly musicians and gear heads like you and I — in other words, about as targeted as you can get. What’s more, on each individual listing page, you’ll find convenient links to Audiofanzine reviews, user reviews, audio and video examples, and other information about the item you’re looking at. Try finding that anywhere else.

Finally, our classifieds also display selected listings from Craigslist, and soon eBay, so you can browse a lot more choices without leaving the comfy confines of Audiofanzine. So do check out our classifieds, whether you’re buying or selling.

I still can’t get over the idea of a guitar priced at close to $500,000. Not something you want to accidentally leave in a taxicab, that’s for sure. Your thoughts?

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the article and announcing the the new AFZ classifieds' section. If/when I look for some piece of gear I need , I will definitely visit it.

As for the prices you mentioned: they are ridiculous indeed for a person who really wants an instrument (or instruments) for making music. For collectors, whose goals are different, the prices may sound acceptable.

Generally, I am not fond of buying new instruments. Once I bought a new Gibson LP Studio 2010 and being inaccurate cutting the ends of the strings (popping from the tuners), I left 2 barely visible scratches on the headstock. I got so disappointed on how clumsy I was! And those scratches chased me for many nights during my sleeping.

It went on until I bought a second hand Squier PJ bass which I decided to modify (replace the pickups and maybe fix a few scratches on the player's side of the neck). With it, I was not afraid of unscrewing any screws or whatever.

The next thing I'll do, I'll buy a possible cheapest Start and do all possible modifications I want (put the Tri-Sonics instead of standard Strat pickups, change p/u switching system, or any other crazy mods, etc.) without sweating about a new scratch or something. Do you remember how Jimmy Hendrix treated his Strats during the performances?

Cheers!
Well Mike... My jaw is 'still' on the floor when I received your comments in my inbox. It led me to think about other "overpriced" (at least from my plebeian perspective) instruments that have been declared "historically valuable". So, I looked up other string instruments that had outrageous price tags. For example, the "Lady Blunt" Stradivarius of 1721, which sold for a record $16 million in 2011. Believe it or not, that same violin was first publicly sold for a measly $115,000 in 1721. There are so many cases of instruments (in general) being sold for unbelievable sums throughout recent and past history.

The point (for me) is, are these instruments 'really' worth that amount? I guess people with that kind of insane dough to splurge couldn't give two hoots. Can you imagine Craigslist or eBay listing a $16 million dollar "Strad"? We can only hope that FREE SHIPPING <LOL> would be part of the deal, eh?...

Hi Mike, congratulations on the new buy and sell feature on the site.. I too buy most gear second hand , and try to buy from enthusiastic owners, who can offer some insight on the piece of kit.. I`m sure a new community will develop with people buying selling, or trading equipment in a like minded environment, so best of luck again,

As for 500K guitars.. on one hand I like to see the guitars preserved, but on the other hand i feel its a shame they don`t get played or gigged. The most I ever spent on a guitar is about 400 euro. (second hand) I cannot justify paying any more to be honest. The Strat collecting epidemic is crazy to me.. As we all know the price goes up the lower the decade.. people justify by saying "Oh theres Brazilian rosewood or Honduran mahogany" its not like its extinct.. just not being mass farmed anymore.! I would love a 50s or 60s electric too, but if I had the cash, I`m sure I could visit your new but and sell section, and build one serious studio, and have a holiday, probably buy a car too.! haha ....
I recently swapped my rode NT1A mic, for a banjo, which dates from 1921 , its really put a lot into perspective!
Quote:
As for 500K guitars.. on one hand I like to see the guitars preserved, but on the other hand i feel its a shame they don`t get played or gigged.

I don't pretend to understand the whole collecting craze, but, then again, I've never had hundreds of thousands of dollars of disposable income. Maybe I'd feel differently then. ;-)
Quote:
an you imagine Craigslist or eBay listing a $16 million dollar "Strad"? We can only hope that FREE SHIPPING <LOL> would be part of the deal, eh?...

For 16 million, I'd insist that the seller drop it off at my house in an armored truck. I don't think UPS or FedEX offer insurance for that amount. :-D
Quote:
Do you remember how Jimmy Hendrix treated his Strats during the performances?

Indeed. Of course, lighting one's guitar on fire isn't a highly recommended activity, nor is it beneficial to the resale value. ;-)
Quote:
Thank you for the article and announcing the the new AFZ classifieds' section. If/when I look for some piece of gear I need , I will definitely visit it.

You're welcome. I'm glad you'll consider using the new classifieds. I think that buying and selling within the Audiofanzine community will prove to be beneficial to all concerned.