Create an account

or

Thread November 28, 2015 editorial: comments

• 7 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 5 followers
1 November 28, 2015 editorial: comments

Studio Wish List

Here in the U.S., we’re celebrating Thanksgiving, a holiday where we all stuff ourselves with more food during one meal than we normally eat in a week. Then, once we’ve recovered enough to get out of bed the next day, we start shopping for holiday gifts — or, if we’re recording musicians, for gifts for our studios. To that end, I’ve put together a wish list of my own consisting of studio products I wish were available this holiday season.

• The Non-Crashing DAW. Recording software that’s guaranteed to never crash, ever. Actually work for an entire session without those annoying crashes and reboots. 
  • Large-diaphragm studio condenser with “instant sweet-spot” technology. No need to spend endless time trying to find the best microphone placement with this baby. Just aim it towards the source and it’s guaranteed to find the perfect placement thanks to the processor chip embedded in its motorized shock mount. 
  • Tangle-Free Studio Headphones. Never worry about your headphone cable ending up under your chair or wrapped around your mic stand or your dog’s leg. Sensors built into the cable, and small motorized wheels on the side of the jack automatically keep the cable out of harm’s way and tangle-free at all times.
  • Time Slower-Downer plug-in. If you ever feel like you don’t have enough time to spend in your studio, this is the product for you. Literally a time saver, this plug-in (AU, VST, AAX)  slows actual time down by 2x, 3x, or 4x, while you remain in real-time. Think of how much you can get done, when every hour seems like four. Just remember, if you’re going to use the slowest settings, you may need to set the buffer higher in your DAW, so latency could be an issue. 
  • Studio Monitors with “Force-Field” Technology. These monitors emit an energy field that instantly controls all reflections within a 10-foot radius of your mix position, and automatically adjusts your room acoustics to optimal settings. At the press of a button you can recreate the exact acoustics of such famous spaces as Studio A at Avatar, Studio 2 at Abbey Road, The South Rim of the Grand Canyon, or even an anechoic chamber. Your mixes will never be the same.

Okay, it might be a few more years until we see products like those, but there a lot of good deals to be had on real studio gear and software, thanks to all the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales that are now going on. To make your life easier, we’ve compiled an exhaustive list of them. And, of course, if you have any ideas to add to the above list of “products,” feel free to post descriptions on the comments section of this editorial. 

Logic X never crashed with me...
Rock solid.
Using computers there's never a dull moment. The link "in the email" to an exhaustive list didn't work with a simple click on it. Opening the link in another tab didn't work either. The two successes....Copy the link to Google aand when I came on to Audio Fanzine to comment it works:D::D::D: by clicking on the an exhaustive list here. Importantly I got to the list so thanks for that. John
:D:
Being Australian and not being one who has ever known much of the USA culture, part of your opening comments aren't quite clear. What is actually meant by the term, 'the holidays'? Is that what most of the Western World refer to as 'Christmas'? If so, why is it not referred to as Christmas any more in the USA?
Quote:
Being Australian and not being one who has ever known much of the USA culture, part of your opening comments aren't quite clear. What is actually meant by the term, 'the holidays'? Is that what most of the Western World refer to as 'Christmas'? If so, why is it not referred to as Christmas any more in the USA?

America is a multicultural society with many religions (Christianity being the most common one), and we have other holidays besides Christmas, namely Hannukah and Kwanzza that are also celebrated during December. In order to be inclusive, many people refer to December as the "holiday season" or "the holidays." We also celebrate the new year, and that's also considered part of the holiday season. Christmas is still called Christmas, but when referring to the whole season, the more generic term is often used.
OK - well explained.
Thanks for your time and input.:D:
Australia is a multicultural society as well - in fact it is common for our elected leaders to refer to Australia as the most successful multicultural nation on the planet (possibly the known universe). Though we simply refer to the period as Christmas - and Christianity might not even be the dominant religion. Then, I suspect your academic and possibly other calendars are also different to ours, which could make your "holiday season" more pertinent.
And here I was happy to snag a deal on soundtoys 5, when all I really wanted was everything you listed!
Quote:
00 And here I was happy to snag a deal on soundtoys 5, when all I really wanted was everything you listed!

I'm afraid you'll have to wait a while for those products. ;)