or
Create an account

or

Thread buying a soundcard but which one (£150 - £200) ??

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 buying a soundcard but which one (£150 - £200) ??
Hi there,

I've Just started taking lessons on home recording using Reason, cubase, cool edit etc. and my teacher says its time to buy me a soundcard, but I have no idea what I need!

I want to continue using the software he's teaching me with but also record vocals and guitar (seperately) straight into the PC so I understand I will either need a soundcard with jacks for both these and an onboard amp, as well as midi and normal line in inputs, or else need to get me one of those little amplifier boxes (sorry dont know the name of it) that you plug inline with your guitar/mic and it takes a quarter inch jack in and has a standard line out.

He also mentioned that there can be problems if I use a studio music card for DVD s/w or games and I DO use my computer as a TV/dvd player and occassionally play online, so he says I might need to keep my basic soundcard on a PCI slot for that and have a USB soundcard for when I want to do music.

Can anyone confirm if this is all true and if so suggest some soundcards i should be looking at (for between £150 - £200).

Oh and I use win XP with a 1.3 Ghz AMD and 256 of Ram (oh and if I want to use a PCI slot I will have to remove my old souncard).

Cheers!

Tom M

PS one of his pupils has bought a soundcard with inputs for Mic, guitar and turntables for £175 (make begins with an M) which is on USB and sounds like a great option.....except they are having trouble with the drivers as it can turn its drivers on and off and has 4 different ones..he's suggesting I get one of these but I'm uncertain as they still havent sorted it yet (it keeps turning the drivers off automatically).
You should definitely take a look at the USB soundcards made by M-audio. They are in your price range and should meet your recquirements.

https://www.zzounds.com/a--303779/prodsearch?form=prodsearch&q=m-audio&submit.x=16&submit.y=7
The Edirols are quality products also... example bellow depending on budget this is the low end of the range.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23784&item=3759255901&rd=1

Danka