Create an account

or

Thread USB soundcards around 210 euro/dollar/150 pounds

• 5 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 0 follower
1 USB soundcards around 210 euro/dollar/150 pounds
Hi
I'm just changing from my old PC to a Compaq laptop? I had a Sound Blaster LiveDrive 2 on the PC but now I need something USB connectible. I've really got my eyes on the Edirol UA-20, and I could get for 205 euro, which is quite cheep. The only thing I am concerned about is the drivers for Edirol cards.
A friend of mine bought the M-audio quatro souncard and he had to wait for about three months before M-audio released any decent drivers for quatro on Windows XP.
I also have a Windows XP setup. I'm mainly going to use the soundcard for guitar and mic recording on something like the Logic 5 and MIDI keyboard control on Reason 2.5.
Has anybody got any experiences on the Edirol UA-20 or any USB soundcards in equal quality/price line?

Thanks beforehand
Hello!

I was not aware of this kind of problem for M-Audio. There are not so much good usb sound card at the moment... Have you seen that some people choose Tascam sound card on that forum? I'm not convinced about the quality of these products.. but why not?
I hard some good feedback for Waveidea (https://www.waveidea.com/en/products/uasc1/index.php). Their control surface are really expensive, but their sound card are not bad.

Personally, I use a POD XT as a sound card, It works very well for electic guitar and microphones. But it has no XLR conector with phantom power... It's more expensive, of course, but it's a 2 in 1 option ;-)

I've never tried the edirol one...

Quote: Hello!

Personally, I use a POD XT as a sound card, It works very well for electic guitar and microphones. But it has no XLR conector with phantom power... It's more expensive, of course, but it's a 2 in 1 option ;-)

Really? I didn't know pod could be used as a soundcard, does it have rca connectors?
Phobos-

Forgive my ignorance... when you say you need a USB sound card for your lap top you mean an external one, is that correct?

I didnt think there were too many options for external sound cards.

I almost bought a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX because it is on sale at buy.com for about $70 with rebate.

http://www.buy.com/retail/computers/category.asp?loc=16580

But then i read an article and it said that it wasnt good for musicans because it didnt have a midi interface and wasnt GASIO compliant (I hope i got that right)
So i am curious to what u have found researching since we are in the same laptop boat.

Thanks for your help.
Joel
Thanks for your help and advice.

I checked out those links and those are all out of my price range (just graduated college on a looooow budget)...

I think I will stick with my cheapo soundcard bc my laptop is only temporary. (I am in Germany for 6 months only and I will come back to America in a bit and a have a desktop there which I will upgrade when i get back...)

Thanks!
Joel