or
Create an account

or

Thread Choice of sound card - any advice please?

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Choice of sound card - any advice please?
I've just started using Logic 5 and I want to be able to use maybe 6 audio tracks and use up to about 8 virtual instruments (EXS24) and perhaps 8 midi tracks on my Clavinova CLP150 which I use as both midi controller and XG sound module.

My PC is Athlon XP 2000+, 512MB DDR266 RAM, running Windows XP.

The onboard sound chip is OK for basic computing operations but using the PCAV Direct Sound driver in Logic, one soon realises it's limitiations, various adjustments to the virtual instruments result in constant crackles only resolved by restarting Logic.

I guess a good way to solve this problem would be to get some decent ASIO sound hardware. I am considering either the EDIROL UA20 or the M-Audio USB Audiophile. Will these be complete solutions for my needs, i.e work with the virtual instruments on Logic e.t.c and would they need/benefit from USB2?

Is there a considerable difference in performance between USB Audio interfaces and similar priced PCI cards, i.e the Audiophile 2496? I don't have a laptop at the moment but I would like to get one soon and being able to use Logic and the audio interface on the laptop would be a significant bonus.

I only anticipate that I would be wanting to lay an audio track at a time so need minimum inputs/outputs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

WILL
First of all, you should try to set up a correct latency for buffering.
But if you use virtual instrument it will result in a delay between the time you play and the moment you hear the sound :(

Yes, you should consider to take an other sound card, but try to modify parameters for the latency before.