or
Create an account

or

Thread Not the foggiest idea...

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic Not the foggiest idea...
I am looking to start some pc based home recording.

While I know quite a bit about pc's, I know nothing about high end sound card options, or audio recording.

Currently I have a Berhinger 1204fx mixer w/stereo RCA outs that I want to hook into my pc and record into Cool Edit, Cakewalk, or any other easy to use audio program that will allow me to make either MP3 or Wav files.

Currently I am using onboard sound, but know that I will need to upgrade. I would prefer something with an internal breakout box that fits into a 5 1/4 bay in my pc tower.

I have been told that the stereo out RCA's could plug directly into a soundcard, however I am not sure what is going on with the channels.

By that I mean the mixer has 12 channels, the sound cards all have channels as well. Do these channels depend on one another if I am using the stereo RCA outs into a sound card?

Will I be getting a "mixed" version of the sound (having been previously mixed coming through the RCA outputs), or will i have some kind of raw sound that is waiting to be mixed down?

I have no idea what I am doing and would love to pick someones brain for an hour who knows how this stuff works.

Any indeas?

Oh, my pc specs:

AMD Athlon 1.4G cpu
512 Mb of Kingston HyperX DDR Ram
Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum mobo
ATI 7200 video card
Plextor CDRW
Pioneer DVD
i have almost the same setup

1204fx rca out puts into a "EDIROL UA-1A"

check it out, it allows you to connect stereo left and right channels from the left and right out of your mixer to your computer via usb port....

you record the stereo mix that you have made, or whatever you can imagine, whatever you run out of the main output, be it one channel at a time or a mix of all the signals at once....

no magical 12 tracks of raw audio can from from analog L-R rca's ;)

if you wanted to do something like THAT youd need, something...more expensive that the UA-1A....

like: http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua1000.html
Hmmmmm, and the plot thickens..

I was looking at a Delta 1010 LT, which is a little more than I need. I really only need about 8 channels.

Tell me, with that EDIROL UA-1A, can you play/record simultaniously with a basic full duplex sound card?

If so how many channels?

What do you think of your 1204fx? Do you actually use the FX?

Switching gears, what do you think of Cubase and/or Groove Agent?X?
If I understand correctly I think you might be better with dedicated hardware stereo RCA inputs. You mix to stereo and input to your sound card. That is if you are using your external mixer and you want to master on the computer.
On the other hand if you want to mix in software....there are a ton of solutions.
If I have missed the point....just ignore this.
youre right, i also said it above...i think

its getting late and i cannot think :P