• 3 participants
  • 0 follower
Tunesy

Tunesy

4 posts
New AFfiliate
First post
1 Posted on 10/25/2004 at 09:00:34
I'm a hobbyist and long time amateur musician using Cakewalk Home Studio on an HP Pavilion 7000 laptop, P4 2.66, 1g ram, 60g internal hd and 80g external hd. I'd like to get a better sound card, but I'm not very knowledgable on that topic. I'm guessing I probably need an external card? My needs will mainly be limited to the following:

1 -- Composing (in Finale) and playing back MIDI via soft synths/instruments, Garritan Personal Orchestra for classical fare (I have to check on compatability with Home Studio), but undecided on what product to use for pop/jazz oriented stuff yet.

2 -- Live recording of two instruments at a time, rarely three.

My main wish is to get the most realistic acoustic instrument sounds from MIDI files. I don't do much in the way of 'electronic' sounds. I'd like to keep it simple and have everything done with software with the exception of the external sound card, if possible. I have an email in to HP to see if I have any internal sound card options, but from posts in another forum I'm led to believe I don't. I can't even tell from their web site what my existing sound card is :) Can anyone suggest an external sound card that would be suitable in the, oh, say, $200 range? I'll spring for a higher price if there's a compelling reason. Thanks in advance for any advice.
manowar

manowar

161 posts
AFfinity Poster
2 Posted on 10/25/2004 at 10:54:13
I suggest you m-audio audiophile 24/96 usb or fbetter firewire.
Card has 4in 2 out or 2 in 4 out. (2 lines are programible). Card has midi in too and it cost around 200 Euro. For more go to http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=mobileinterfaces
Tunesy

Tunesy

4 posts
New AFfiliate
3 Posted on 10/25/2004 at 14:23:06
I looked at the M-audio Audiophile earlier but didn't see an external version. I'll do another google. Thanks for the tip.
Chardo

Chardo

21 posts
New AFfiliate
4 Posted on 10/26/2004 at 13:28:57
Hey Tunesy,
I am dealing with a similar type of setup and audio interface inquiry. I am currently looking at purchasing the Edirol UA-25. I've been looking at both Digidesign's M-box and various M-audio products, but for what I want to do the Edirol seems to be the best (and the price is right!). Check out more info about it at : http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua25.html

I think it is running around $300 canadian right now.
Tunesy

Tunesy

4 posts
New AFfiliate
5 Posted on 10/26/2004 at 14:21:18
Thanks, Chardo. I'm pretty new to the 'sound hardware' side of computers. Does an "Audio/MIDI interface" serve the same function as a sound card, or is it something to buy in addition to a sound card?
manowar

manowar

161 posts
AFfinity Poster
6 Posted on 10/26/2004 at 15:06:22
Yes that is a soundcard and can has other functions too. Like preamp.
Tunesy

Tunesy

4 posts
New AFfiliate
7 Posted on 10/26/2004 at 15:10:39
Wonderful! Thankyou very much. I'm just learning the basics of the hardware side of music. At least now I know that whenever I see reference to an "audio/MIDI interface" I'll know it's just a jazzed up way to say 'sound card'. That little tidbit removes a layer of clouds that I was trying to navigate through. ;)
Chardo

Chardo

21 posts
New AFfiliate
8 Posted on 10/27/2004 at 08:16:36
Goodluck with your setup Tunesy. There are a lot of choices out there, but once you read up and learn more about what products will best suite your needs you will quickly minimize your options making your choice more clear. It is actually a lot of fun doing the research, makes you feel more confident with your purchase.
cookies
We are using cookies!

Yes, Audiofanzine is using cookies. Since the last thing that we want is disturbing your diet with too much fat or too much sugar, you'll be glad to learn that we made them ourselves with fresh, organic and fair ingredients, and with a perfect nutritional balance. What this means is that the data we store in them is used to enhance your use of our website as well as improve your user experience on our pages (learn more). To configure your cookie preferences, click here.

We did not wait for a law to make us respect our members and visitors' privacy. The cookies that we use are only meant to improve your experience on our website.

Our cookies
Cookies not subject to consent
These are cookies that guarantee the proper functioning of Audiofanzine and allow its optimization. The website cannot function properly without these cookies. Example: cookies that help you stay logged in from page to page or that help customizing your usage of the website (dark mode or filters).
Google Analytics
We are using Google Analytics in order to better understand the use that our visitors make of our website in an attempt to improve it.
Advertising
This information allows us to show you personalized advertisements thanks to which Audiofanzine is financed. By unchecking this box you will still have advertisements but they may be less interesting :) We are using Google Ad Manager to display part of our ads, or tools integrated to our own CMS for the rest.

We did not wait for a law to make us respect our members and visitors' privacy. The cookies that we use are only meant to improve your experience on our website.

Our cookies
Cookies not subject to consent

These are cookies that guarantee the proper functioning of Audiofanzine. The website cannot function properly without these cookies. Examples: cookies that help you stay logged in from page to page or that help customizing your usage of the website (dark mode or filters).

Google Analytics

We are using Google Analytics in order to better understand the use that our visitors make of our website in an attempt to improve it. When this parameter is activated, no personal information is sent to Google and the IP addresses are anonymized.

Advertising

This information allows us to show you personalized advertisements thanks to which Audiofanzine is financed. By unchecking this box you will still have advertisements but they may be less interesting :) We are using Google Ad Manager to display part of our ads, or tools integrated to our own CMS for the rest.

You can find more details on data protection in our privacy policy.
You can also find information about how Google uses personal data by following this link.