SWR SM-500

Publié le 01/30/08 à 04:53
Tube-Preamp (1x 12AX7)
-Amp Transistors
-2 Input active / passive
-Facades: Gain, Limiter, Aural Enhancer, Bass, 4-band parametric EQ semi, Treeble / Transparency dual knob, FX blend, Volume.
-Rear: mono bridge output Speakon, 500W @ 4ohms, 400W @ 8ohms. Stereo outputs and Speakon Jacks.
DI-output tube (the preamp), use Live (without using the other parameters of the front) or Line (using them)
- Send and Return for effects loop

The effects loop works well with an RC50. She is saturated (I tried all settings possible and imaginable) ... not top. No problem by putting cons effects.

Config fairly simple as long as we have not one more chromosome somewhere ...
the manual is clear, against a novice will quickly be lost with the semi-parametric EQ. The volume sliders manages the frequency selected by the knob which is in DeSousa. As against the benefit and the sound palette that can be achieved is simply huge!

I use it on a Goliath III, with a Jazz Bass American Deluxe Ash maple fingerboard, strings Elixir Nanoweb 45-105 and a synth Yamaha CS01 II. I use many effects: delay, reverb, distos, fuzz, POG, and looper.

I slap a lot and the sound is amazing! I get to have a Marcus Miller, infectious groove with the medium of slamming ...

I am also very ambient stuff with layers of sound in the acute as well as in infrastructure and yet it is! I have big bass, it's snoring shakes the walls and it stays clean! Very clean! Playing I can have stifled sounds like bass and the "transparency" can be added acute crazy that make her really ... "Transparent" Finally you see what?? Against it by a hair blowing in the tweeter and just for that one gate would have been nice.

Today in Indie SERVICE TRAINING pop sound for me too, it's only a matter of adjustment and the Lords of Kobol know how many are!

Indeed, one can change the sound at all but two seconds and that's class!
As against the four knobs sliders and their respective frequency selection of the semi-parametric EQ is not very accurate! It was a bit like a "staircase" when turning it do not mean necessarily a constantly changing, and suddenly the sound changes as if there was a "notch"! In fact you choose your heart through the knob but it acts more as a kind of multi-position switch with pre-defined frequency in some parts of the knob like a real knob, and so is the volume sliders! It's not great, but hey, it was a pure sound anyway.
After the limiter, the aural enhancer everything else is spot on!

For comparison, I used a Bassman 100 (74 I think), finally, something any lamp that is supposed to send the block at 4km round, well I just tell you that the SM500 has nothing to envy ! But then nothing! You can really make it sound like we want the head!

I use it for 5 or 6 years, I love everything about this head!
Before I had a 60w marshall and a peavey TNT 115, Peavey head and a 4X10 speaker firebass with peavey and a 15 "peavey too.
I tried the ttrace Elliot, the Ampeg SVT pro (beurk!), the Gallien Krueger, Hartke's (pity do not buy that!), David Eden, SWR 550X and then my SM 500 with my Goliath III and there ... Love at first sight!

It's expensive when I see the price of the Ampeg SVT-VR is a 2300 euro lights at all but hey, I've tried is not the same sound is made in Vietnam, not at all versatile (no "real" setting), its really a typed, and it is heavy! Not to mention that concert, when asked to make the change tray in 10 minutes and you do not have time to cool the lamps ...
I do not regret this purchase at all and I do not probably sell it (or my Goliath). I will take out a Ampeg SVT Classic Heritage (still made in USA) in addition to concerts on time or in the studio but would be luxury.