Ampeg BA-112
Ampeg BA-112

Bass Guitar Combo Amp from Ampeg belonging to the Bassamp series.

MGR/Billy MGR/Billy

« Ampeg BA-112 »

Published on 12/06/10 at 15:00
This is a very compact bass combo amp. The Ampeg BA112. It is more than enough juice to practice solo bass with, you can easily do a quiet gig with, but it is juuust a bit under powered to play a loud rock gig with.

The amp puts out 50 watts into a custom Ampeg speaker (probably just a fancy way of saying 'We got Eminence to built us a speaker for cheap!')

I'm looking for the best portable, loud combo for under $500. This isn't the best, but it's not bad. I paid $279 for it from American Musical Supply.

I like it's portability. Let's face it: it looks cool. I'm sure a non-Ampeg bass combo with these features would need to be cheaper.

The EQ is very, very extreme. You can dial in many different tones. The 5-way rotary preset knob takes a bit to get used to, but it is basically sweeping or boosting your mids depending on the setting.

It is noisy. I can hear noise from my wireless card and cell phone. The amp makes a loud POP then I turn it on. It is just not powerful enough for all my gigs.

I wish it had an XLR out.

You can tell Ampeg built this on a budget. The hardware is cheap, it is not the cleanest build, and I mentioned it's a bit noisy.

Remember this is meant to be a cheap practice amp. I guess I expect too much, but hey, it sounds good and it works.