Clavia Nord Stage 88
Clavia Nord Stage 88

Digital Synth from Clavia belonging to the Nord Stage series.

Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 12/07/08 à 04:11
(Originally written by Septentrion/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
I have to admit that I miss my Gem ProMega 3 but I sold it because of its weight, reliability problems, and because Gem has no reliable after-sale service anymore.

What other European brand do we have left? CLAVIA (from Sweden) of course!!! I bought a NordStage76 and WOW!!!! It has everything I liked about the ProMega3: ease of use, musicality, manufacturing quality, keyboard quality, simplicity (one function per control like with the Gem, although some buttons require that you press an additional button, which isn't very convenient). It's a real instrument, not a Japanese toy! And compared to the ProMega, you get additional advantages like more accuracy! Yes, even Rhodes sounds are great! And let's not forget the latest piano provided by Nord as a free download... It's amazing!!! My hands can't believe it yet. On top of that it is light (especially the 76 version) and versatile.

Like with the ProMega, you actually feel that the Nord Stage is an instrument made by musicians for musicians and with a strong European character.

I would have liked to keep my ProMega at home but I didn't have enough space or money.

I don't regret having upgraded to the Nord Stage, which is like its modern reincarnation.

Small cons:

The limited memory space is a pity (the new EX model solves that problem).

The USB connector isn't Midi compatible (it's only conceived to download sounds, configurations, or update the OS).

No arpeggiator, split points aren't fully adjustable, lack of punch in the audio output (the overall sound quality compensates this disadvantage).

But I'm being picky because I actually love this instrument and I look forward to lots of years of pleasure with it.

Everything has already been said about this device. Intuitive, simple and easy to use. It has the same spirit as the ProMega. Everything is musical and inspiring to play and create music.

I don't know anything better for piano, rhodes and organ sounds. Even though I've tried out virtually everything on the market. Some provide better pianos but none of them offers such a comprehensive solution nor a well-balanced sound. And the playability is incredible (I was a bit afraid that the keyboard would be too light but it's perfect for me and it reminds me an old piano).

I was positively surprised by the synthesizer section. It's a lot of fun and very convenient for additional sounds.

The effects are awesome too! For example, a rhodes + leslie with distortion and you're ready for Echos!

With a hi-fi system the sound lacks a bit of punch but it is terrific when you play with a PA system.

It's been a two months honeymoon. I use it at home, for rehearsals, for recording sessions and live on stage with a band. Even my musician friends noticed the precision, the presence and the dynamics of the sound, but also the stereo depth and the presence within a mix (strong but not overemphasized).

I hesitated a long time before buying it (and my banker did too), but like all other musicians who have it, I don't regret it. It's a real instrument, made for musicians.