DW Drums CX

- F.A.S.T tom sizes
- Wrap finishes
- Matching bass drum hoops
- Remo heads

First off, I will say that I got a SMOKING deal on this set, however, I would be willing to pay 2 to 3 times as much for it, after hearing it.

My set is the fusion configuration in Royal Onyx with 10x8" & 12x9" rack toms (I've also added an 8x7" tom), 14x12" floor tom, 22x18" kick and a 14x5" snare. I've been wanting one of these sets for years, and I finally got the chance to pick one up for an amazing price, and I'm glad I did! The craftsmanship on these drums are great, it's no wonder DW discontinued them!

I've got Evans G1s on the bottom and G2s on the top and these toms sound HUGE! They are full of life and nicely balanced and pack a big punch. Tuned low or high, the toms sound great! In a blind test, with a more expensive DW set, I'm willing to bet that many people won't be able to tell the difference.

The kick drum is an absolutely monster! I've got an Aquarian Super Kick II on the batter head with a Remo Falam Slam Pad on it, and the original head on the resonant side, cut with a port in it, and WOW does this kick deliver! Most metal drummers trigger their drum kick sound, which I'd thought of doing before... but the sound of this drum is PERFECT how it is, and I don't want to cut it out of my sound signal. The kick has the perfect harmony of a deep, rich tone, and a nice click that cuts through nicely live.

The snare is gorgeous - woody and organic sounding with a huge tuning range. I've currently got it loaded with an Evans Hazy 300 on the snare side and a Genera Dry HD on the top batter. This is the first wood snare drum I've ever played that does require muffling to get rid of the annoying ring on it. The Genera Dry HD head chokes the ring out of it nicely, while still retaining its tone. I tune this baby fairly high (with a DrumDial - 70 on the resonant head, 85 on the batter), and it sounds great! My only complaint is, I wish it had a bit more "pop" to it. The snare, even when set ultra tight, still resonates a bit too much for my liking, but in a mix, you won't notice it and it sounds full and sits in the mix perfectly, not too overbearing or too subtle. Great dynamics as well!

Before this kit, I actually owned a Tama Starclassic Performer 5-piece kit (birch) in the rock sizes (14" snare, 12 & 13" rack toms, 16" floor tom, 22x16" bass), and these PDPs sound BETTER! The Tamas sounded great, don't get me wrong, but they suffered from a lot of boominess, and were pretty sterile. These PDPs sound great for everything! I would definitely recommend these to anyone, beginner to professional, jazz to metal; these drums sound excellent, especially for the price.

Images linked to this review

• photo