Sennheiser e 825 S
Sennheiser e 825 S
Anonymous
Published on 07/19/11 at 10:59
The Sennheiser E 825 S is a dynamic microphone designed for live vocal work. While I can tell you now that I would probably pick it over several other entry level microphones, the E 825 S does not avoid the markings of a budget microphone. It may have a frequency response that goes all the way up to the expected 15,000 Hz, but the bottom cuts out at 80 Hz. This is not something typical of a quality microphone, but I hesitate to call the Sennheiser E 825 S shoddy in any way whatsoever. But I would never buy it, for reasons stated in "Overall Opinion."

The 825 has a cardioid response, which is typical. I found that the microphone does actually offer a nice level of clarity, even over some of the standard microphones (but then again, everything seems less muddy than an SM58 when I have a richer baritone voice). It also has an on/off switch, that never stops irking me for the simple shallow cosmetic preference I have.

The Sennheiser E 825 S is Sennheiser's entry level microphone for stage work. It is my no means a terrible microphone in this regard; in fact, I find that it is actually quite comparable to even some of the less budget oriented microphones from other companies. That being said, at its price point, it cannot compete with the next microphone up which is a standard: The Sennheiser E 835 is a staple microphone for many people. Several people believe that the Sennheiser E 835 kills the vaunted Shure SM58. So maybe the E 825 S was not built to compete with it, but at only $20 less new than the E 835, it sure seems like it is trying.

What is rather bothersome about this is that understandably, $20 can stack up over several microphones. However, Sennheiser also sells a three pack of the E 835 for $10 less than three E 825 S microphones would cost. So, there is very little reason to settle for this and not go for the next one up.