Electro-Harmonix Big Muff PI
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff PI

Big Muff PI, Fuzz pedal from Electro-Harmonix in the Big Muff series.

badgerific 03/24/2011

Electro-Harmonix Big Muff PI : badgerific's user review

« Big tone, small price. »

Standard stomp-box effect set up of 1/4" input, 1/4" output, 9V power supply input, 9V battery snap inside and a bypass stomp switch. Three knobs, Volume, Tone and Sustain.

Simple to set up, just stick a battery and plug your guitar to the input and the amp to the output and you're ready to go. The three knobs are pretty self explanatory and there's not a great deal of need for a manual, just playing around with the knobs until you find a sound you like is the best idea for effects pedals like this in my opinion.

I use this pedal with my Squier Duo-sonic and Epiphone Valve Junior amplifier and they make a great sound together. I really like the tone of all the big muff variants that I have tried although this is my least favorite of them. One problem I have with this pedal is that it can be quite noisy when in operation, but it's true bypass so when it's bypassed their is no effect on your tone.

The way that the knobs interact with each other on this pedal allow you to have quite a versatile range of tones as well as THE Big Muff wall of fuzz sound. By dropping the sustain knob to 0 and the volume knob to maximum a lightly distorted overdrive type sound can be achieved which I really like. I find this pedal to be too mid scooped for my liking to be used as a rhythm tone in a band situation but I love the sound of it as a lead boost on top of an already overdriven amplifier.

For the price of a used one I believe it's worth it, definitely a good first pedal to dip your toe into the world of fuzz. Although I think there are better Big Muff variants available, I much prefer the tone stack in the Sovtek built Big Muffs.

I think this model of muff is a great pedal to modify to provide more versatility and a more unique tone, even a mod as simple as bypassing the tone stack or adding a voltage sag knob can open up the sonic possibilities a vast amount.