or
Create an account

or

Thread Prioritizing Upgrades

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Prioritizing Upgrades
Alright, I've found alot of good advice, if I were starting from scratch, but since I've got a basic start, its hard to know what things I should be upgrading first. I'm using
an SM57 into
a Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic200 Preamp into
Desktop PC (SigmaTel Soundcard)
I was using a program called Samplitude, I recently picked up a cheapo CakeWalk Music Creator3, but it won't run with my soundcard. Which is what prompted me to think about upgrading things, but once I started researching it, I've gotten a little overwhelmed with possibilities.
I'm playing one track at a time, acoustic guitar, some saxophone, and singing. The idea of being able to run two inputs at once was fairly interesting, but not absolutely nessecary.
Anyone have any ideas on what I should prioritize? Was looking for something like a $100 boost to start with, eventually some more, but I wasn't planning on putting more than $400 into it total. Just a hobby, not making any money out of the recording
Thanks
Luke Miller
Cakewalk doesn't recognize it's input. I googled the problem, and apparently it's common with the Soundcard. I found the phrase "dreaded sigmatel", somewhere. Apparently not highly thought of. It's always had a fair amount of hiss though, which I thought was odd. I can get rid of the noise by muting the computer, so it's not a physical problem with connections and sheilding or anything, the computer honestly things that I want it to be generating this light hiss constantly. Also, my set-up as never been really satisfactrily loud. I have to really pump my pre-amp, both Volume and Gain, and use the mic boost on the computer to get it to an acceptable recording volume. There's a sweet spot, where the Gain is low enough that it doesn't sound too fuzzy, and everything is loud enough, but its a real pain and a struggle. Should be easier, you know?
Any thoughts?
Luke
this could be your cheap solution (arond 50$):

Behringer U-CONTROL UCA202

http://www.behringer.com/UCA202/index.cfm
what exacly is the problem with your soundcard and cakewalk?