or
Create an account

or

Thread New to forum ... Need help setting up first studio!!

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
Sujet de la discussion New to forum ... Need help setting up first studio!!
Hi all!

I'm planning on setting up a home studio during this year and i need a little (well, a lot of) advice!! :)

I'll try and give you a little background stuff about me and what i'm aiming for - hopefully this will help you guys to help me...

I'm a guitar player. I want to record music using guitar - but, importantly, not limited to guitar. I'm not wanting to record just rock songs or just guitar-based stuff. For example, i've been getting into using programs like Reason lately and i'm hoping to incorporate that kind of thing into my music.

I'll be wanting to set up a computer-based recording system and am looking into Carillion Audio PCs. Specifically their cheaper models! I have an overall budget of about £3000 (but this is for the entire studio, not just the PC!)

So i have a bunch of questions on quite a few topics - here goes...

Hardware:
Aside from the computer itself, what hardware am i likely to need? Audio interfaces, etc. I know nothing about this stuff really so as much info as possible is really appreciated. Bonus points for putting it in layman's terms!! ;)

I'm interested in a few rack items. Specifically the Boss GT-Pro; TC Electronic's G-Major; and possibly the Line6 PODxt Pro.

I've also been perusing Ebay for various items and have come across a few interesting rack items that i'd like a little more info on if possible. The Access Virus Rack intruiges me. It has inputs for guitar and i reckon i could find one pretty cheap - opinions on this? Is it a matter of plugging a guitar straight in or is there more to it than that?

Controller keyboards - i don't own one currently and as such am having to program each note in Reason manually, so an info on decent (and cheap!) models is welcome!

Monitors - I'd like a decent (but not expensive) pair of studio monitors. Now, obviously you can spend silly money on these, but i'd like to aim under £500. Reel off a bunch of makes & models and pros & cons if you please. :)

Software:
As i mentioned earlier, i'm getting into Reason. I'd also like your opinions on other programs. I'm thinking Cubase but am unsure of what all the different versions (SX3, SL3, SE3, etc) will offer. There's probably a lot of features i would never ever use in a program like this so bear that in mind. I'm edging more towards Cubase SL3. Incidentally, does anyone have any other suggestions for similar programs?

Drum software - I've been using Redrum in Reason and this is ok, but i'd like a dedicated drum program able to create realistic drums sounds. Any ideas? Reason Drums? Groove Agent? etc?

I know there's a lot of stuff to get your teeth into here, but i'd be very grateful for any advice you guys can give me. Thanks in advance! :D
Cheap MIDI controller: I use the M-Audio Keystation 49e, works fine for $80, decent touch sensitivity.

Studio Monitors: Insanely cheep Tascam VL-21's are for me, but i do most of my work through Senheisser HD-80 Pro's.

Cubase is a good program for those who like to operate on intericate levels. It has a baisic structure that is easy to use, but requires you to dig into the program to really use it to its full extent. I like it, but GarageBand is a guilty pleasure.