or
Create an account

or

Thread amp miking basics

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic amp miking basics
can someone point me to basic information about the "proper" way to mike an amp? ie, how far away should it be, tilt, angle, whatever ... i do bluesy type guitar work ...
some people take an SM57 and just hit the speaker front and center. Use that as your starting point, then experiment.

there's no direct method, since its different for every situation
I record mostly blues,
I use an SM57 about 2" from the cloth at a slight angle. I find the angle takes some of the sharpness/crispness away. But it really depends on the volume, the speaker, the amp and your style.
Experiment, there is no wrong way.
another technique for a stereo feel is to take a fairly closed, acoustically dead room, put the amp in it, and throw an SM57 near the cab, then take an omni, or wide cardiod condenser mic about 5 feet back at knee level. this really creats some 'bounce'. also try taking small amps and putting them in different environments if you dont have many rooms.

recently, i took at 25 watt amp, put a PodXT as a preamp, then put the amp inside of a plexiglass case, experimenting with how open the door on the case was. this gave very unique results, and it goes to show how almost any idea will work.