or
Create an account

or

Thread Help I cant record

• 8 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic Help I cant record
I have a behringer eurorack ub1204fx-pro and a shure pg57 mic connected to it. I can hear it fine thru my amp/stereo but when i record either using cakewalk home studio or sound forge or any program its not recording anything n its not even showing a signal in the monitor bar. Im am new to all this plz help me someone.

Much appreciated

Cree
its all signal chain. Mess around with the real outputs from the behringer and mess with the virtual inputs on cakewalk. you'll get it
Sorry im new to this wat u mean by inputs? U mean the plugs n stuff? I messed around with every button on the mixer i got sum signal but it waz very faint. I recorded n i could only jus hear it.

Thanx
Cree8r-

Describe exactly how you have everything hooked up and how you're running your signal through your mixer to the soundcard. Also tell us what kind of sound card.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Sorry i had no internet for a while. Ok on the mixer i got left n right plugs in the line 7/8 n that runs to the soundcard's midi left n right (i think) and then i got cords going from the other 2 inputs of the soundcard which is audio i think, n they are connected to the amp (my stereo). The mic is connected to the mixer. I think thats correct i cant really see but if need be i will have to unplugg everything to pull the tower completely out of the corner n into the light.

Thanx for ur time guys

Cree8r
sounds about right, but there's no such thing as Left and Right MIDI. its known as Midi IN and Midi OUT.
oh yeah it is midi in n midi out. I played around with the mixer sum more n the signal is a bit stronger but still not normal. Can anyone help me with the mixer?

Thanx
Cree8tr-

First off, forget about midi. You don't list anything that has anything to do with midi. Midi makes no sound- it is data. You use it to trigger specific notes and sounds on a keyboard or internal synth.

Your setup is similar to mine, so I will tell you how I use mine and how it's hooked up.

First of all, go to the Behringer website and down load and print the spec sheet for you your mixer. This little gem has a block diagram that shows all of the possible signal routing paths in your mixer. You need to invest some time studying this thing, it will help you understand what I'm about to tell you. Go ahead, I'll wait........

OK. First, the connections. You will need two stereo Y cords, with a stereo mini plug at one end and 2 1/4 inch phone plugs at the other. Connect the Alt 3/4 outputs on the back of the mixer to the Line In on your soundcard. Connect the Line Out (speaker output) of your sound card to the Channel 7/8 left/right inputs on the mixer. I'm thinking that you want the +4/-10 Dbu switch in the -10 position, but you can play with that if you get a low signal or two hot a signal.

Connect your speakers to the Control Room left and right outputs on the back of the mixer. This will require some creative adapters and/or Y cords to get you from the plugs on the mixer to whatever plugs are on your speakers.

Now, your mixer is the central signal routing tool for all of your computer audio. You will use the various buttons and switches and faders on the mixer to control your signal volume and routing depending on what you're doing at any given time.

This is the part where you need to be looking at the block diagram, so get it out. Go ahead, I'll wait.......

OK. To record:

You hook your mic to Channel 1 and set the gain as described in the mixer manual. You press the Mute button on channel 1. This routes the signal to the Alt 3/4 bus, which is connected to the Line In on your soundcard. The level of your mic signal is controlled by both the Channel 1 fader and the Alt 3/4 faders. Both sets of faders should be at about 0db (make all your connections, then bring the fader up). The amount of the mic signal on the Alt 3/4 lines is controlled by the Pan pot on Channel 1. If you pan hard left, all of the signal is on Alt 3, if you pan hard right, all of the signal is on Alt 4. In the center, the signal is evenly split betwen the 3/4 lines.

Since the mic is a mono source and you want to record it that way, pan the Channel 1 signal hard left, the bring just the Alt 3 fader up. In Cakewalk, arm a track to record using the soundcard left input as the source. You should now see signal registering on the track meters when you speak into the mic. You don't hear anything though.

To monitor while recording, you need to press the Source Alt 3/4 button. This routes the Alt 3/4 bus to the Control Room outputs where your speakers are hooked up. The overall volume for your speakers and be adjusted with the Control Room/Phones mix.

To Playback:

When you playback out of Cakewalk, use the faders in Cake to get your mix set up. The output of your soundcard will be controlled by the Channel 7/8 fader on the mixer. To monitor this output, you need to press the Source Main switch to route the Channel 7/8 input to the Control Room outputs where your speakers are.

Things to look out for:

If you track vocals with headphones, you will need to be able to turn the volume on your speakers down so you don't get feedback from the mic. If you're using regualr computer speakers, then the volume know on the front of them should be able to take care of this.

Using Alt 3/4 as your record source means that if you are recording a mono source liek your mic, and you pan it hard left as I described, when tracking you will only hear out the left speaker/headphone. Playback of the recorded track can be adjusted using the pan pot on the mixer within Cakewalk.

If you are only going to record mono sources, than you could also consider hooking your soundcard input to the Aux Send. This is a mono line. The advantage here is that you can use the Channel Aux Send knog in conjunction with the Master Aux Send know to control your record levels, and you don't have to put up with using the pan on the channel strip to route your signal. This means that you will hear your mic in both speakers or phones as you track.

Or, you can switch back and forth, using the Aux Send for mono tracks and the Alt 3/4 when you want to record a stereo source like a keyboard or drum machine. The downside here is that you have to switch cables around at the soundcard end.

There a lots of options. Study that block diagram and you'll figure it out.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Woah thanx Mike for the time u took to explain all that. Im going to do wat u suggested and il jus study it. If i get nowhere il find someone to help me. Thank u sooo much tho i really appreciate it.

Cree