Create an account

or

Thread home recording solutions

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 home recording solutions
hey,

Nicolas there from belgium. I would like to set up a home RECORDING ONLY studio solution with my bandmates. We are playing "heavy/death progressive metal". Sound weird hei ??? :D Anyway it's NOT brutal music. There are a lot of "subtleties" if I may.

There are 2 guitarists, 1 bassist, 1 drummer, 1 singer and midi-playback synths.

The drums can be recorded with 7 microphones (1 kick, 4 toms (floor, bass, medium, high), 1 snare, 1 hit-hat, few cymbals all over). the hit-hat seems to be well captured by the overhead mics.

The guitar amps are rocktron voodo valve preamps+power amps. We planned to record with SM57 mic type and to add a DI part.

We don't want to record live so it will be every instrument one after the other.

I wonder if a presonus firepod (https://www.presonus.com/firepod.html it's a firewire 24-bit/96K audio interface) associate to a quite powerfull computer would be enough to have an almost professionnal sound. The recording should be good enough to be released as a real album.

The computer would be :

- intel d 930 dual core fsb 800
- 1 gb ram corsair
- 2 x 80 gb HD (2 hard drive = 2 x speed of data acess if programs are on the first one and our recordings on the second one, no ? )
- the cheapest graphic card ever :)
- cubase sx 2 equipped
- some good VSTi's

The mixing job would be done in a studio by a professionnal technician.

Does anybody have experience or heard about that firepod ? If it doesnt fit what else would ?
If it's good enough what kind of hardware (other than microphones, more some racks or stuff) or software can i get to reach this sound I'm looking for.

Thanx already to those who will take the time to read these lines and answer.

Bye !!
your equipment is more than enough to get a very good result!
for drums, don't bother with hi-hat mics, it will leak everywhere on its own! since you play heavy/death metal, i suggest you then trigger your drums for optimum "huge-smashing-machine gun" drums (use Drumagog, a great tool!), especially the kick.
for guitars, use 2 mics on the amp, one on-axis and the other off-axis. record the single guitars twice and hard-pan them for a wide wall of sound. use DI on bass.

if you need any assistance you can mail me. i'll be glad to help out!

%1$s a écrit your equipment is more than enough to get a very good result!
for drums, don't bother with hi-hat mics, it will leak everywhere on its own! since you play heavy/death metal, i suggest you then trigger your drums for optimum "huge-smashing-machine gun" drums (use Drumagog, a great tool!), especially the kick.
for guitars, use 2 mics on the amp, one on-axis and the other off-axis. record the single guitars twice and hard-pan them for a wide wall of sound. use DI on bass.

if you need any assistance you can mail me. i'll be glad to help out!

hey thanx for your tips an tricks i will try that !!!!!

i added you in my messenger contact list. just in case i got few questions for you ! i think i will :D

i hope you don't bother. if you do, just tell me, and i will contact you by mail.
it will be much faster with email since i don't use msn too much, but no problem, you can add me ;)