For the unhappy user who could not find MIDI inputs
Hello, the same happened to me: I bought myself a laptop hoping that I could go anywhere - be it at the seaside or on the top of a mountain - and have peace to create music - but I could not get one single note because I could not hear anything. Someone told me I should by a special keyboard to link it to the laptop - but the hint was to have as little luggagge as possible !
I could find an excellent answer on a forum - and I want to share this with you:
1. Open the program Sonar 4.
2. From the first bar right under the blue title bar select OPTIONS
3. [a column is opened]: select AUDIO...
4. [a window is opened]: select ADVANCED
5. Look for the small window called DRIVER MODE
6.From the arrow, select the option MME (32 Bit)
7. Click OK
8. Close the program SONAR 4 and restart it (only the program, not the computer)
9. If you receive again the message NO MIDI INPUTS, select in this window 1-Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth which should appear.
I guess things will be OK from now on. Good luck and good creations !