or
Create an account

or

Thread Another newbie who needs lots of advice.

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Another newbie who needs lots of advice.
Hi! I'm looking to put together a little home studio setup that I can also take on the road. I'm a singer songwriter that would like to record live guitar, vocals, harmonica and use midi for drums drums, bass, piano, etc. I'm looking for better than demo quality recordings for several CD's I plan to sell at my gigs.

As for equipment, right now I have:
a Sony Vaio laptop (with 2.8G Pentium 4 processor, 512 M Ram, 60 G hard drive (partitioned), 3 USB 2 ports, 1 Firewire, 2 PC card slots, Sigma Tel soundcard),

a StudioProjects B3 condenser microphone, and

a Tascam US 122 (2 XLR inputs w/ phantom power or 2 1/4 line/guitar inputs, MIDI in and out, RCA stereo line out, Direct Monitoring) along with

a copy of Cakewalk Homestudio 2002
and the Gigastudio 24 and Cubasis VST that came bundled with the 122.

I have an additional budget of $500-1000 to get started (and am still able to return both the microphone and 122 if necessary), with additional funds becoming available at a later date; so I'd like to set up a rig that I can expand in the future without throwing too much equipment on the scrap heap.

I'm hoping to get some imput on suggested hardware and setup as well as software (which should I use and how do they all fit together).

Hopefully, I have provided enough info here to get started.

Thanks a lot,
bcaldwellmusic
bcaldwell-

I was mentally composing a list of stuff I thought you should try to get as I was reading the first paragraph, and then I went to this list of stuff you already have and found that you already HAVE most of it!!! :lol:

The Tascam 122 may be a weak link. There have been LOTS of configuration issues reported with it. I would look at the MAudio stuff, like the Omnistudio USB:

http://www.midiman.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=f9437f79b93e69417e3079e9df39c81f

Also, you're not going to be able to turn out any decent mixes without some decent monitors. The Studiophile BX5's have been getting some good press as well.

http://www.midiman.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=c89fb7c8339b56ad8e64e509a317579a

There, I spent your $1000 for you...... man it's always easier when it's osmeone else's money!!! :P
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD