or
Create an account

or

Thread where do i start

• 7 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 0 follower
1 where do i start
so i have the echo layla, my band also has a mackie dfx12 mixer, we have the computer and software, now where do we start, we would like to be able to have 8 mics on the drums, so i was wondering if mackie was going to suffice? not only that but i would like everything to record to the computer as individual tracks so that i may tweak each channel if i need to.

I was at guitar center and the guy recommended a presonus 8 mic preamp unit, we could just plug the mics into the preamp and from the outputs on the preamp go to the inputs of the layla.

what other options do i have if any, we would like to maybe use the mixer if we can't we can always exchange it for something better. anyways i think thats enough questions for now
8 mics is a pretty ambitious plan. You may have a lot of trouble with phasing problems and bleed. I would recommend something simpler, like 3 or 4 mics. I heard a recording last night a friend of mine did in his studio for some other friends of mine in a band, and he got a killer drum sound with two condenser mics overhead and a mic about 2 feet back on the kick.

Best bet is to get a mixer with direct outs on the channel strips and run the channel directs to the Layla inputs. Use your existing mixer as a submixer for the drum mics. Get a good drum mix, send it as a stereo pair to 2 channels of the new mixer. That leaves you 6 channels for the rest of the band.

The only down side to this method is that you'll have to get a good drum mix first because you won't be able to adjust individual drums once they're recorded.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
i think what we ultimatly want is to be able to mix each individual track on sonar or protools, havent decided which one i want to use yet.
it deffinatley depends on what type of music u are also recording too for drumb mic placement..
what type is it??
i guess i would say its rock, maybe an incubus but a little harder
ok... well i dont really know what to do here..
but if u search the net u can find varrious types of mic placement setups that you can try...
the main and most important thing is that it is (your prefeance)
so id say try a few different setups and then choose the best and give er..

Quote: 8 mics is a pretty ambitious plan. You may have a lot of trouble with phasing problems and bleed.

damn right you are....there are these new thingers made by auralex that isolate individual drum mics, so its like each mic on each part of the drum kit has sonic isolation(well pretty good...better isolation)

maybe look into something like that...

if you are recording each mic to its own track in software, most digital audio workstations allow you to manipulate the phase of a track...
The best way to go into Pro-Tools with 8 mics is the Digi002. Some of their other products will work, but the 002 has a great control surface. If you really want a solid drum sound, 8 mics is a good way to go. This isn't a cheap way to go, but will allow you to isolate each track going into the comp. As far as placement goes, I generally like to mic the Kick, Snare (Top and Bottom, although the bottom mic is not necessary) 2 Overheads, Floor Tom (Try putting a good ribbon mic in the tom for a nice bassy sound) Rack Toms (either in between the Toms or above one at a 180 angle from the cymbals) and high hat (mic it on the far side at an angle so you don't get wind blast as it closes). This is preference and you'll need to play around to get it right. Also, don't trust the mixers preamps for the right sound. You may want to get a good pre for the snare and kick (and maybe an eq). Feel free to give me a buzz if you have any questions, I can probably give you a hand.