or
Create an account

or

Thread Advices about recording rock music

• 7 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Advices about recording rock music
Hi everyone! I'm recording at home, with my computer and my Sound Blaster Live!

Well, I've record a bunch of song now, doing separate guitar track, bass. I use fruity loops to make a drum beat with some "real" drum sound found on some website. Well, with that I can make a song and then my band can listen to the song and have a really great idea about what I thought of the song. But, soon I'll want to record the real drum, and record from guitar amps.

Our style is somewhat between punk/hardcore to some rockish song. I don't know how to call it thought:P The drummer can play hard as hell or just some cool beat with hot rods. So, what I was wondering is what should I get ??? I got this small 6 tracks mixer with volume, pan and tone in each input. Will it do the job??? I thought of recording the drum with it, and making a single track in my computer.

And, about guitar amps. I read about micing with two mic on the guitar amp, one 4-5 feets behind the amp, and one in front, near the speaker. And, what should I do about the EQ ??? Now, I'm doing some random stuff with it.. boosting high, etc ... I don't really know what's a good setting to have.

The last question is about bass. Well, I really don't know what to do about it. Should I record the bass amp ? Put it directly into the computer input??? Now it sounds "ok" in the comp, but if I want to get the best sound possible, what should I do ? I'd like to get a clear bass sound :P

Thanks for the advices!
Hey Led,
First question: does your 6 channel mixer have two mono or one stereo output?
The reason is that my drummer runs his mics to a mixer then we record two tracks or one stereo so that we can get his drum kit to go from left to right when you hear it played back. Across the stereo field. This makes for a fuller sounding drum recording. You don't have to do this, but it's better sounding.

As for the guitars: You'll find many, many opinions on how to mic an amp. Start with a mic up close to the amp, like I do, angle the mic a little bit to one side and start moving it from the center of the cone out to the edge of the speaker. More to center=mellower tone, towards edge=crisper tone. Play with it. some folks like to put a mic a few feet out front, one in the back, experiment and keep an open ear for what you want.

Bass: My experience has been that a direct box to direct in is normally better than miking since the bass usually stomps a mic much like the kick drum does. Making it distort and limiting it's range of sound. Compression is a must for the bass, but you can do this at mixdown on your computer.

As far as making a recording for the band to hear, great idea! I always do this as it really conveys what you're thinking the song sounds like, much better than trying to explain it. I always do this with new tunes...

Hope this helps a little..

Terry...
Thanks for the advices!

Great idea for the drum, I think there're two output .. but, I don't have two input in the computer :| Or if you know a way to record with the line-in AND the mic plug. But I think you can only choose one.

As for the bass, well ... I just can't get the amp sound with a directbox... I don't know if someone have experienced some bass setting, or played with EQ, I'd really like to get something from the bass. Now it's just flat, nothing particular about the bass. Maybe I'll try to put effects on the bass. If I can get a unique bass sound it could be so sweet :D

tnx anyway :)
led, the two outputs on your mixer (1/4" plug or RCA) are probably mono right and left (each is a mono signal). You need to get a "Y" adapter that plugs into your two outs and goes from that to one male stereo 1/8" plug. The input of your input of the computer is stereo (two mono channels combined on one plug) This gives you the right / left capability of your mixer (panning)

As for the bass tone you're looking for, a great bass sound you might try is to add compression and a little chorus in your multi-track software. Heard a guy running that and made his bass sound cool. Kinda gave it a round sound if you know what I mean...

Terry...
By the way, For your line signal from the bass to your mixer, does your bassist have a processor pedal or amp with a "line out" The bass should have the signal boosted a "little" what I mean by that is not just a chord from the bass guitar to the mixer. My bassist uses a line out of his amp head. This is "line level" meaning it won't power a speaker. Be careful not to use a speaker line out to your mixer. It will smoke your mixer. I know someone did that to my Carvin mixer :x Having a thin sounding bass sounds like a weak signal to me.

Terry...
When running a bass guitar live I try to get a DI and mic it with a Beyer M88 also. The DI gives all the clarity pops and twangs while the mic will tease out the bottom end. Watch the polarity and position the mic to match the DI, or you may get a hole or peaks in the sound.
what's a DL ?
DI = direct injection (sometimes called direct input )(OT or if you're are using a Fanuc robot digital input)

Taking a line out signal from an instrument or amp and injecting it into the mixer without using a mic.

I can tell you're using a sans font. :D