Create an account

or

Thread PLEASE HELP!!!! I want a laptop setup

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
Sujet de la discussion PLEASE HELP!!!! I want a laptop setup
Hi,
I know I've asked about a laptop setup before, but this time I've narrowed it down...

I really only need to record a max of 2 tracks at a time. I will be recording vocals, (any cheap and decent mic suggestions?) bass, keyboard, and some guitar. I will be mixing live instruments with drum beats that I will make on the computer to make everything from hip-hop, to jazz/electronic instrumental, to more classic singer/songwriter stuff.

Ok so I'm gonna try to get a laptop for under $1000 canadian on ebay or used from a classified ad. It will be at least 1.8 ghz, with 512 ram. I realize it's not a Mac G4, but it'll do. Any ideas on brand/processor types? Does processor type/brand even matter for what I'm doing? Should I go for 1 gb of ram, or is 512 enough for the pretty basic stuff I will be doing?

I'm thinking the tascam us-122 for an interface. Even though I've heard it has had some problems, I'm not looking for anything expensive and top of the line, just simple, cheap, and good quality. It also needs to be bus powered so I can record anywhere. Any other ideas on an interface? (preferably under $300 canadian)

Monitor/headphone ideas?

That leaves us with software. I'm thinking Cakewalk Homestudio 2 XL. Any other ideas? looking for something that is good for looping, and creating beats? (in the fruity loops fashion preferably). That reminds me... can I use fruity loops as a plugin in cakewalk? BTW I don't want to spend more than $250 on software, hence why I'm interested in home studio.

Well thanks in advance for your patience and any knowledge you can offer.

Peace
Computer: I second just getting a Mac and using Garage Band.
Interface: MAudio 410 although I prefer the PreSonus FirePod (works out of the box no drivers with Garage Band).
Mics: Shure SM58, SM57 $$ MAudio Luna, Rode NT1a, Rode NT5.

Cheers.
Go for a HP Pavillion ZV6000. They have a really fast AMD 64 processor and all things you need very cheap. Its an amazing notebook for the price. Check out Office Depot. Its def. under $1000.

I had the Tascam US122 at one time. It works. I recommend it if you aren't that concerned about sound quality (its nothing to worry about, but if you want professional grade, this wont work).