Log in
Log in

Create an account


Thread Splitting Audio Source for Two Seperate Systems

  • 8 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Splitting Audio Source for Two Seperate Systems
I use my Mac as my source for all music. I have an older decent stereo system hooked up to the Mac with a 1/8" to RCA converter cable, and it sounds great. I recently purchased a 2.1 computer speaker system, and I was curious...

Are there any "voltate/electricity/number-specs/way-above-my-head" issues that I'd have to worry about, before plugging this (link) into my computer, and attaching my stereo to one, and my computer speakers to the other? Any help what-so-ever will be so greatly appreciated, it may result in a happy dance.

If you use a splitter to split the signal coming from the mac, going to the stereo and speaker system, there is no worries. It is just a signal, not power like hooking up too many speakers to a power amp. This is assuming your line out is not powered. Meaning, the computer speakers need their own power to process the signal from the mac.
Don't use the headphone jack, it has power. Use the line out.
Yep, that's true.
I have a 400 watt amp and two very large speakers mounted on my garage wall that I send a signal to from a laptop when I'm out there working. That's my garage radio.
This is the same way that anyone mixing on a computer works. Sure, they may have a fancier Digital to Analog converter , a fancier poweramp, and a fancy set of studio monitor; but it's the same exact concept. Your sending the signal on your computer to an amplifier/speaker combination.

As a final note, there are no problems as long as you use the line out, not headphone jack. There is absolutely no power there.
Thanks very much, i will proceed with hooking up both. It sounds alot better having an extra subwoofer and left and right speaker. lol.
You're welcome, hope it works out for you.
Your friend sounds like he connected the line into the stereo's speaker output, which is powered. That will send voltage back to the pc and yes, fry stuff.
The green speaker out on a pc soundcard has minimal voltage, just enough to send a signal, it is like a pre-amp. You can connect that to the line in or aux in on a home stereo.
Hi, I have a computer set with a 5.1 configuration for sound. My motherboard has an extension that gives me 2 extra jacks, one for subwoofer and center, one for rear speakers. My logitech z-640 has 3 plugs, one for the master volume jack, one for the subwoofer and center jack, and another for the rear speakers jack. I also have a Creative Inspire T3000 system. Recently I was wondering if I could split the main volume jack with a standard Y splitter so that i can plug in the master volume plugs for both my z 640 and t 3000. However, my friend had split his master volume jack to a stereo system and a computer speaker system, and it fried his entire computer (I assume it was due to a surge in power going to the master volume jack). I am not sure if I have a line out, only the standard 3 that come with the computer (green for master volume, blue for line in, and red for microphone). Does anyone know if the green master volume jack is safe to use with a splitter for such high wattage speakers? Thanks for reading, really appreciate it.