or
Create an account

or

Thread M Audio 2496

• 5 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 M Audio 2496
Hi i have a sony vaio pc with the original soundblaster audigy installed, i connected it myself with a bit of luck i got it running and it is good, i want to get a more serious card the M Audio 2496 looks like the one, i was wondering if it has a cd/dvd drive connector on the card itself, because on the audigy i connected my lead from my internal cd/dvd drive to it! i couldnt see one from the photos of the 2496? can anyone help!
Hi dalzee,

The 2496 does not have the cd audio connector. However, if you go into Device Manager, expand the tree on cdrom/dvd drives and right click on your cd drive to access its properties window, you will see a Properties tab. Check the box that says "Enable digital audio for this CDROM drive".

Make sure the primary audio playback device is your 2496 if you want the cd audio to pass thru it.

Best,
ok so i take out the audigy out of the pci slot, put in the 2496 and plug the cd rom cable back into the motherboard where it originally was!

then open the device manager etc as you said!

also i pressed f6 or f2 on start up i cant remember which one off hand and disabled the chipset soundcard, will i have to re enable this once ive installed the 2496?
ive just looked its F" the BIOS, i went into I/O Device configuration and its the onboard AC97 Audio Controller [DISABLED]

will i have to re enable this once i get the 2496 m-audio in?

Quote: ive just looked its F2 key takes you into the BIOS, i went into I/O Device configuration and its the onboard AC97 Audio Controller [DISABLED]

will i have to re enable this once i get the 2496 m-audio in?

Whoa boy!

We were talking about the cdrom. Why did you do a whole slew of other stuff without addressing whether the cdrom audio was getting thru to the 2496 first? Technically, once you enable the digital audio checkbox on the cdrom in device manager, you could remove the cd audio cable (the thin one) and the audigy should still have cd audio because the audio data is now flowing thru the IDE bus.

When you pulled out the audigy, did you uninstall it in the Device Manager first? If not, you could leave latent device drivers in your registry.

It's ok to disable the onboard audio if you're going to use the 2496 as your only audio device; you don't have to enable it when you install the maudio. I don't own a 2496 personally, but I've seen others who have no problems installing it in their systems.