or

Thread [b]URGENT HELP NEEDED[/b] Connecting Soundcard to a Mixer

• 9 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 [b]URGENT HELP NEEDED[/b] Connecting Soundcard to a Mixer
Hello Everyone,

I reeallly need this problem fixed:

I have a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS PLatinum Pro Soundcard - which only has 2 line-ins (as you may know); and a Behringer UB1204-PRO Mixing desk.

I want to know how I can connect the 2 together, so that I can use them in Cubase SX2.2... i.e: connect the mixer to the external box of the soundcard, so that I can plug guitars, mics etc into the mixer, and have cubase record these (so it is like an exension of my soundcard line-ins).

(NOTE: I MUST have the mixer connected to the soundcard because I have my piano connected AND able to be recorded using the soundcard, through cubase).

IS THIS POSSIBLE???

Thankyou in advance,

Adam[color=red][/color]
Too funny, man. I just answered this exact same question on another forum about 5 minutes ago!!!

My Behringer is a little bigger, but the basics are the same-

Hook your monitor speakers to the CR outs. Hook your soundcard line inputs to the Alt 3/4 outputs. Hook your soundcard line outputs to one of the stereo input channels on the mixer. Plug your guitar and keyboard into mixer channels. If you wanted to record, say, your keyboard while listening to the tracks you recorded previously, push in the Mute Alt3/4 buttons on the keyboard channel. Use the Alt 3/4 sub faders to control the level of the record signal. Engage both the Alt3/4 and the Main assign switches to the CR outs so you can listen to both the previously recorded stuff and the the stuff your recording now.

It sounds complicated, but it's not. Your mixer should have come with a block diagram showing the buss routing and the switching. Trace it out and you'll see how it works.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Thanks Axeman,

ONe thing though, I don't have monitor speakers at present... just crappy headphones until I buy my new set. but will everything else work just the same (just omit the bit about pluggin in the monitors yeh?)

How funny - well, at least I'm not the only one with the problem :)

Regards, Adam
I believe that with your mixer, as with mine, whatever you send to the CR outputs is also present at the headphones jack.

Good luck!!
Thankyou AGAIn :lol:

I will go try hooking up as you suggested above... and I'll let you know how it goes (and if I have any more problems! lol)

By the way, where did you answer that question too? (you said you answerd the same Q on a different forum...?)

Regards,

Adam

Quote: Thankyou AGAIn :lol:

I will go try hooking up as you suggested above... and I'll let you know how it goes (and if I have any more problems! lol)

By the way, where did you answer that question too? (you said you answerd the same Q on a different forum...?)

Regards,

Adam

I'm also a mod over at the Christian Musician Forum. Very cool place.

www.christianmusicianforum.com

don't click the link at the bottom- it'll redirect you in about 20 seconds....
Oh wow... seems like a good place at CMF..

By the way, I havn't ACtually bought the Behringer UB1204 yet.... I was just enquiring before I did.....

However, during my researching around, I have found out it is a 2x2 mixer.. what exactly does this mean? Its just that i've also been told is that I shouldn't get that... I should get a true 4-bus one.... this is gobbledygook to me! so what I would like to know is:

1) What is the difference?

2) Will both of these types work with my SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum pro Soundcard?

Thankyou soOo much - you have been very helpful with my problems. It is very much appreciated.

Regards, Adam
Thanks again Axeman... it seems you are the source of knowledge on these matters :)

I have decided to go with the Behringer UB1204-PRO. This is what the behringer people say themselves (taken fromthe site):

..."This is a mixer whose small size belies its incredible versatility and audio performance. You get 8 balanced high-headroom line inputs, 4 INVISIBLE MIC PREAMPs (IMPs), 2 aux sends per channel (1 pre fader for monitoring applications and 1 post fader for external FX devices). There are 2 subgroups with separate outputs for added routing flexibility and 2 multi-functional stereo aux returns with flexible routing round off the list of high-quality features"...

Input-wise (i.e. how many things im pluggin in at once) ive worked out this is sufficient - plus 1 spare - (as im using doublers for some sockets).

So the final thing I would like to know, is will this be compatible with my SB Audigy 2 ZS Plat Pro card if i connect them together as you said in your first reply (above)??

MAny many thanks for all your help, that is all my questions I think! :lol:
I am very thankful for your time....

God Bless, Regards........ Adam
Line level is line level- it should work fine hooked to your soundcard line inputs.

Once again, though, I'd recommend the 1622. It's only like $50 more, and you will have some room for expansion. ALWAYS try to leave some room for expansion....... 8)
Especially if you really get into keys and synthesizers. They can eat up channels like mad!