or

Thread It's time to ask for help

• 14 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
1 It's time to ask for help
Hey there,
New to this site.
I have been playing my Axe for over 12 years but started recording back in 2000.
I thought my stuff rocked until I listened to everyone elses stuff and noticed how CLEAR and clean and professinal it sounds.
I am using my top spec PC and recording all of my tracks from my guitar and processer into my PC. There I am using either Acid or cool edit pro for the mixing. I have no problems recording and arrainging.
My problem is that my stuff sounds like it's comming from a basement.
It's hard to explain. you can hear some of it at https://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4229&alid=1163

And no! I am not trying to just give a cheap plug for my music!

Can some one listen to it and tell me what I am doing wrong? A freind mentioned the word "ailesing" (Spelling) What is it and does my "music" have it?

Thanks

Wes
Show first post
If you'll record guitar and use digital processor (trash) I recommentd to try steinberg warp.
Ok,
So I learned that I should not record the output of my processor from my sound card.
And that I should Mic my amp instead.
Thats great because I have a Crate amp and I LOVE the tight metal sound that it has!
My next step needs to be a Mic. You guys suggest a condenser mic. Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is a condenser mic verses a regular mic? And is it more sensitive than conventional mics? And that leads me to the next ???? What are U guys using for sound rooms?
I recently moved from my dream home with a quitet basement to a nightmare rental (stupid job!!!) that is all echoey and if I was to record using a sensitive mic all of my "music" would have Sponge Bob Square pants in the background from when my daughter is watching TV.
What do you guys do?

Thanks

WN
Well, not to rub it in, I use a closet in my basement studio. :lol:

A good first mic would be an SM57- it's kind an industry standard, especially for recording guitars. That's what I use.

In all honesty, though, you can get a decent tone going direct. A mic will sound better, but if you spend some time tweeking your patches on your processor, you can get a decent direct tone out of most. I didn't think the tone you had was all that big a part of the overall problem. It was decent, especially for the style of music you're playing.

I would work on the overall recording and mix tips I gave you above and see how much improvement you can make with your existing setup before I started spending money- especially if recording a live amp isn't very practical for your current situation.

The tunes on the gzsmuzik website in my sig line were all recorded direct. I used an old Digitech RP2000 (one of the first modelling guitar processors). I think the guitars sound pretty decent. The tunes off my blues cd listed at the very bottom of my sig file were all recorded with the SM57 and the closet. I think they sound better overall, but those mixes are quite different because I wanted them to have more of a live feel. Give them a listen- it's an interesting comparison.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
I don't suggest you sm57 for recording. It is dinamic mic not a condenser and you'll have to place it direct infront of an amp. I suggest you some condenser mic from AKG.
Thanks Axe.
I will start with the tips provided first and see if I can clean up the quality of my recordings.
You all have been a Huge help and I appreciate all of you time and suggestions.

WN