or

Thread It's time to ask for help

• 14 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
1 It's time to ask for help
Hey there,
New to this site.
I have been playing my Axe for over 12 years but started recording back in 2000.
I thought my stuff rocked until I listened to everyone elses stuff and noticed how CLEAR and clean and professinal it sounds.
I am using my top spec PC and recording all of my tracks from my guitar and processer into my PC. There I am using either Acid or cool edit pro for the mixing. I have no problems recording and arrainging.
My problem is that my stuff sounds like it's comming from a basement.
It's hard to explain. you can hear some of it at https://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4229&alid=1163

And no! I am not trying to just give a cheap plug for my music!

Can some one listen to it and tell me what I am doing wrong? A freind mentioned the word "ailesing" (Spelling) What is it and does my "music" have it?

Thanks

Wes
Wes-

I listenend to several of your tunes, and, while I hear what you are talking about, I'm not sure what the problems are. Overall, there is no bass. The drum tracks don't mesh with the rest of the tracks soundwise.

How are you recording? What gear are you using? What are you monitoring your mixes on?
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Thanks Axe.
How am I recording? I have my Guitar Processor's output going into the PC's Line in.
I am using Acid for my drum tracks and I will just use a simple beat to keep time when I record my first rythum track. Then I will later go back and add fillins and such.
Lateley what I have been doing is I will Do the above but export the drum track into Cool edit pro and lay down the rest of my tracks on that. I found that when I record into Acid I has a kind of Wavey sound.

As far as gear I am using my trusty ole Yamaha 6 string, DOD processer and my super PC with a SB Live soudcard.
I monitor my mixing on some high end speakers that are as flat as I could afford. I found out a while ago that using headphones is not the best idea. Then i will make several copies and listen to it on my home stero, and the system in my Truck. and make adjustments if needed.

And your right I am lacking Bass! some of my current projects are new and improved with a bass track. but what do you mean the drum track sound does not mesh up soundwise? Is it just the tone of the drums?

Again thank you Axeman for your advice and help.

Wes
First problem is your soundcard. You need better soundcard specalized for recording. I suggest you m-audio audiophile 24/96 at least.

Second: I suggest you to diferent tehnic to record guitar. You'll get better results with amp, condenser mic and mic preamp.
Thanks Manowar.
I was under the impression that my SBlive card was good? and your saying that I should record from my Crate amp with a Mic? how would I get the stero delay that way?
How do you guys record guitar and still maintain stereo?

thanks

WN
Spunds like you may have multiple problems. First, the SBLive is only going to sound so so on a good day- it's a gamers card, not for recording. Manowar's recommendation was right on.

Second, recoding direct from a guitar processor is not generally the best way to get a good sound, but you should be able to get a decent tone out of it, and I believe your overall tone was all right. But this statement:

Quote: How do you guys record guitar and still maintain stereo?

is most likely the root of your problem. Stereo guitar signals are nice to fiddle around with. They are NOT nice to record with.

When you are creating a mix, you are creating an artificial soundstage for all the parts to live in. You use pan to adjust where the sound lives in the left/right field, and you use reverb or delay to bring the sound closer or further back on the stage. Using these characteristics, you create an artificial soundstage in you final mix. The left and right channels of this final mix is the STEREO mix. It is comprosed of the MONO tracks you arranged into your soundstage.

So, you'd record your guitars, bass, and vocals in mono. Use the pan and reverb/delay to place them within the stereo field. Leave your loops stereo, because they are probably already a finished product with a left/right stereo spread (submix). There are other tricks you can use to get a more natural sound- we can talk about those later. Once you have everything place in your soundstage, then you mix that down to a stereo pair.

Remember- a stereo mix is not something you record. It is something that you MIX with the individual tracks you record. The other part of this theory is that when you record EVERYTHING in stereo, NOTHING is in stereo in the final mix because you never created a soundstage.

Hope this helps.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Hey!
Well, after all that, if you still want to record with your guitar processor's output directly plugged to the input of the PC, I could recommend you to check out the Izotope Trash plug-in ( www.izotope.com ). It is a plugin for guitar and bass, mainly... It has lots of effects, distortions, delays, etc., etc... It could really help to enhance your guitar sound when recording directly to the PC.
Also there's Izotope Ozone, another plug-in, this time to give a little hand on mastering the tracks, to give you a good final sound.
Hope it helps.

David...
I don't recommend izotope trash. It try it but I don't like it.

Best way to record guitar still is to plug your guitar in your amplifier. (good amp in place with good acustic) Than place good (better, the best :)) condenser mic in that place (try with diffrent placing positions) than plug you mic into a good preamp and than plug your preamp into a good soundcard.

It looks quite difficult but is not. Only problem is money for good components. :evil:
I can't disagree with manowar... of course the best way is by mic'ing the amp and then use all that manowar said.... That's why I said "IF you still want to record with your guitar processor's output directly plugged to the input of the PC". Because by doing it "the best way" of course the results are better, but the problem there is MONEY. Not everyone can afford a "good (better, the best) condenser mic", a good preamp and a good, really good, soundcard.
Even if it's not the best thing to do, for people like me (with no $$ to buy a good condenser mic, great preamp and great sound card), Izotope Trash is the best solution.
So, if, like me, you still can't afford all that, I would go with Izotope Trash if you are looking to enhance your guitar sound. I don't know much about great home recording, but I've been playing guitar for about 17 years now, so I like to think know a little about what is a good guitar sound ;) , and I've been able to do some cool things with Izotope Trash, really digging into it, not by only using its presets... that's why I recommend it.
BUT, as manowar said, there is other and better way, if you can afford it, then go for it.
CHEEEERSSS.............. and "keep on rockin' in the free world"! hehe...

David
Wow,
Thanks guys! this really helps out! It does make sense about creating a false sound stage. I really never had any instruction on this until now! So I am going to play around with recording in mono and adding the goodies during the final mix. That may be the whole reason why it sounds over processed.
Thanks for all of your input I am a bit curious about Izotope because I too am kind of poor.
Do you guys have any other instruction or basics that I should have known 4 years ago?

Thanks

WN