Create an account

or

Thread Simple recording project

• 15 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic Simple recording project
Hey guys!

I've been composing music for a year or two now and doing so with guitar pro does NOT satisfy me anymore.

So I figured I could equip myself with some stuff. I dont want to make pro stuff, just the minimal so I can record guitars, basses, MIDI samples using a MIDI controller (guitar or keyboard) and sequence drums.

What I think I will need is this:
-A new sound card with MIDI input
-MIDI controller (of course)
-Some sort of software for recording and mixing
-Wires
-Polyvalent mic (for recording african drums and acoustic guitars)

Do you guys see anything else I might need or have any specific gear suggestions to make, feel free!

thanks

Tony
View this discussion’s subject
WOW!!!
S-L-O-W D-O-W-N

Axeman offered you some good advice, and you just chucked it.

First of all, Axeman knows his shit. He's helped me out a lot and you should really listen to what he says.
Granted spending $300-400 on monitors might seem a bit steep, but I gaurantee that you will need them. Recording and mixing with computer speakers will make your recording sound like straight ass.

Slow down, read some manuals, and if you cant figure something out, we'll all be glad to help you.

Thanks,

Bones.

Quote: [quote]So my midi controller is here! It's actually plugged by USB into my computer. Now the thing is that I open SONAR and I can't seem to figure out how to make the controller work!

All right, so SONAR recognized the controller and I can record MIDI with it, the thing is that none of the MIDI outs seem to work. ie, I can't hear what I recorded. But I can play MIDI files outside of SONAR without any problems.

Thanks in advance![/quote]

Make sure that the track properties have a valid midi channel selected, as well as a valid midi output.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD

Quote:
Axeman offered you some good advice, and you just chucked it.

First of all, Axeman knows his shit. He's helped me out a lot and you should really listen to what he says.
Granted spending $300-400 on monitors might seem a bit steep, but I gaurantee that you will need them. Recording and mixing with computer speakers will make your recording sound like straight ass.

I know that Axeman knows what he does, it's just that I dont have the money to buy monitors and as I've said, I won't be doing any mixing, it's really just to be able to have a keyboard to be able to compose some music, not too much recording or mixing.
It's all good, my brothers.....

Tony, did you get your midi up and running?
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Well... the controller works as long as I don't record anything. I can only assign DXi to it and mess with it without recording. As soon as I hit the record button all sounds stop.

I also still can't import midi files and make them play in SONAR.

At least I can have some fun with the Mellotron and the Mini Moog now... :D
While we're at it, there also is quite a delay between the moment I hit the keys and the moment sound is produced. I read the controller's manual and it said that if latency was too big, to get a good m-audio sound card, so I'm kind of puzzeled here...

Anyway, thanks for the great help so far!