or
Create an account

or

Thread Home Studio Speaker System - Studio Monitors necessary?

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
Sujet de la discussion Home Studio Speaker System - Studio Monitors necessary?
Hello all,

I'm interested to know if PA speakers can be made to sound good in a small home studio setup... The room is about 12x15 ft and we plan to use it mostly for practice, but we may occassionally record once in a while. We have a bunch of PA speakers and a powered mixer system we use for live performance, but when we use it in the room we have, it doesn't sound too good. (Muddy sound in general)... I did the clap test and could hear a good echo... Right now I'm trying to decide if I need to get studio monitors just for this room or could I just fix up the accoustics with our current PA speakers... Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks,

Jon
your room needs to be treated acoustically.

its a complicated topic and only a professional audio engineer can help you after visiting your room.
There is a huge differance in the output and response of P.A. and studio monitors. Most studio monitors are designed for a 'flat-response'. In other words, they are not designed to, nor do they amplify or project different frequencies at certain volumes. Most stereo and or P.A. speakers are made to bring out certain tones, and frequencies more. I.e., bass boost, and mid-scooping. The reason studio speakers do not also do this is because in a studio setting, you must be able to know when too much of a frequency is being used in a mix. Using your P.A. for playback purposes is all a matter of preference, but if you will be using those same speakers as a mixing referance for a professional quality recording, I would not recommend trusting them at all. You'll never know what you have mixed until you burn it on a cd and put it in a conventional stereo, but with studio reference monitors, you will know what frequencies could pose a clipping or mix problem in the end, and can therefore make changes before you finalize the track.