or
Create an account

or

Thread Audio interface connections

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Audio interface connections
Hey folks, hope you can help me out here.

I'm putting together a studio and am currently searching for an audio interface. As I'll be recording guitar/vocals/keyboard separately, I'm pretty sure I don't need one with lots of in/outs...instead I'd like to focus on the quality of the build (good pre-amps and what have you)

The problem I have - and I hope this doesn't sound completely stupid but I'm pretty new to this - is figuring out where I would connect my monitors on these smaller boxes? I own a pair of Alesis MK2's which connect via XLR. As far as I can figure out, most smaller boxes only have two of these, which seem to be dedicated to mic's. Does this mean I need another two for connecting my monitors?

Any help (or AI suggestions :clin: ) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :bravo:
Hi Skandal,

Regarding your monitors, any small box with balanced jack outputs will do. Actually a balanced jack (which looks like a stereo jack if you prefer) has more or less the same properties as XLR (well, as long as no phantom power needs be implied at least, but it doesn't matter here).

As for which AI might suit you, I'm afraid we still lack one very important information, namely how much you can spend for it. ;)
Hey StratGuy,

Thanks very much for your help :) I take it I'd just need a couple of XLR to stereo jack leads then?

I've set myself a budget of 300-500 pounds for the audio interface (could stretch if need be). If you wouldn't mind, I'd really appreciate some suggestions :clin: I'm getting bogged down with the sheer number there are out there and have no experience with any. I figure it's a pretty important part of the studio though. I might add a mixer later for handiness, but I'm happy to use software until I'm more experienced (and rich) :P:

Thanks again :bravo:
I forgot to say...I'd prefer to use firewire :clin: