or
Create an account

or

Thread Producing those crutial psytrance sounds!

• 8 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Producing those crutial psytrance sounds!
Hi there,
i've recently started producing psytrance. i have progressed well with the baselines, drums as well as giving my tunes melodic themes....but i am having trouble creating those swirly electric sounds (sorry for description!) that give psytrance that extra layer and how can i put this....ooomph! i hope you know what i mean.
if anybody can give me some advice that would be great!

cheers

domskoy
Hi,

I love trance music so I guess I can help you :-)

Please be more precise about "swirly" : if you mean they morph (changing the color of the sound), these are made by filters, common to most synthesizers (analog, digital or virtual). If you have an MP3 example of "swirly sound" please give me a link.
Ok point taken. what i meant was that the sounds seem to move around each other and also, as you said "morph" with each other. is there anything more to it than filters?
Do you have an audio example or a link to one? anything will do, even youtube.
These are mainly filters and effects. Here are some examples with my tracks:

Examples on The Unbrainer

From 0 to 1:00 :
- The bass line + drums has a lowpass filter
- the "ducky" sound has a bandpass filter if I remember well
- the "lead" at 03:00 is the same bandpass filter (has a lot of resonance)
- the 5:10 strange sound is more or less a AM filter (Amplitude Modulation)

Example on Enter my world
At the beginning, there is a big phaser effect on the voices

Example on Demon race
The "chordes" are a low pass filter with resonance and distortion

Example on Addicted
At 0:56 : a big notch filter on the bass

etc etc
Love the tune mate. especially that guitar bit towards the end. :oo:

i will definitely follow your advice!

if you don't mind me asking, how long have you been producing for? do you play anywhere?
For an example. i've just been listening to an old tristan track, 'fetish' off of his audiodrome albumn. the intro is the type of sounds i'm trying to explain to you and there are a number of them working together to incredible affect. i've tried to look for it on youtube but it doesn't seem to be on there. will try and get a copy to you if you don't have it. let me know.

Quote: if you don't mind me asking, how long have you been producing for? do you play anywhere?

I composed a lot until 2000, just as a BIG hobby. now I devote all my life to making a cool Audiofanzine for other musicians... So, I'm not playing anywhere unfortunately http://img.af-v4.com/images/audiofanzine/interface/smileys/icon_cry.gif(" />(" />
You could assign a different resolution to each pattern, and then automatize the pattern in the sequencer or recording it.

Christian howes - Innovative music,Music producer, Music Composer