or
Create an account

or

Thread Help for wanting to start producing

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Help for wanting to start producing
Hello im new to the site im 16 and was thinking of starting a career of producing i want to know what would be good equipment for a beginner i don't want to use software like froot loops i want to use drum machines and what are good classes to take in high school to help me with producing

thank you for reading
It depends on your budget! If you want to record something at home on your PC I suggest M-Audio 2496 sound card(its rather cheap and reliable) a tiny mixer like YAMAHA MG10/2, Cubase or Nuendo for software, Mics and other.
If you are so new to the world of music, take some musical coursed firs. Learn the basics, theory and an Instrument(piano is the best).
Your problem if you don't want to use any software or computers is you'll find it very hard and very expensive, however your recordings will stand out. If you want to use reel to reel tape or a CD recorder to put your music on you find it very easy. If you can get hold of an old 8 track tape recorder then you're in business and you can get yourself a decent mixing desk and microphones too. I was like you when I first started getting into production, but I used Logic pro and eventually found it much easier than splicing tape, and in the long run will be much cheaper.

Depending on where you are in the world recording and production education, can be very easy or very hard to find.

In the UK where I'm from the education is really weird:
You start off at primary school age 4-11 which everyone has to go to
High school from 11-16 which really sucks and teaches you really unimportant things
Then you have the option to go to work, college or nothing
In the UK there are 2 or 3 types of college: Further education, 6th form and work based learning.

Work based learning is for tradesmen such as plumbers, builders, mechanics etc

6th form is highly praised but is good for people who don't know what they want to do and they teach maths, science, history etc etc, really boring stuff.

Further education is for people who know exactly what they want to do and you study vast areas of one subject. I went to a further education college and studied music technology for 2 years and stayed on to do a degree in it and all the lecturers were really helpful and all worked in the music business, in fact a guy from Texas came over to do a 2 year course and then went back to the states to go to university.

Your best bet is to ask your music teacher at school and they might be able to point you in the right direction. I'd advise you to look at software and computers though. Hope that helps!