or
Create an account

or

Thread Song Structure

• 4 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 5 followers
1 Song Structure
I was wandering what structure do you all follow to make a song and for what type

Do you make the kick and bassline
make a melody etc etc

i want you to tell me from the start of a song to the finish, what structure do you follow
It depends on the the type of tune i'm doing. i write in many different styles. Usually it will be the harmony first (chords and stuff) or a beat first and then chords. then i'll try to come up with some catchy melody that goes with the chords. and the rest of the arrangement follows from there.

But before that, it becomes important to define the structure of the tune. i find it's a difficult thing to do (unless it just comes to me naturally) but after that it simplifies things (like a frame or canvas size/shape for a painting). you now have discernible limits within which to work. it somehow structures what i want to do. You can always change it afterwards, but it's always a good thing to have a a tentative one.

hope i wasn't too off topic here :mdr:
First i record my snare..loop it for 8 bars....the ill add a kick...then just keep adding on from there.

www.soundclick.com/traplifemuzik
Hey there!

It depends on what type of music you want to make. In songwriting, there are actually no rules. But if you want to have commercial songs that sell then there are certain conventions that help to follow.

The most popular form is the A B A B C B structure (or subtle variations of it)- A = Refrain, B = Chorus, C = Bridge.

The A part is where we tell the story or build up tension melodically - it leads to the needed release: the B part. That's the catchy thing (hook) that should stick in peoples' heads. The B part should also sum up the song thematically (in text and melody). In the ideal case, the B part is general enough to take on the color of each individual verse so that it gets a new perspective on the same meaning the next time we hear it. It's good to repeat these two parts again so that the ear gets used to the sound and recognizes it as familiar. (It's programmed somewhere down deep inside of people to like what they already know.) But we don't want to bore them to death - So you add the C part to throw in a little bit of newness back into the song. The return to the B part at the end then brings one last warm fuzzy feeling, like coming home. And if your Chorus is as catchy as a hit, people are going to be hungry to hear it one last time.

-Ruby
Ruby Rough
If i have had an idea in my head all day i will lay it down.. thats eiter a chord sequence or a melody... then i will add the melody (or chords) on top... but if its a day i sit down and try go from there i normally start playing piano and working creativity.. which means mainly chords with a melody.. so its two in one... then after 8 bars i will add the drums.. it really does depend bro.. you work your own way... its like anything. its not the way you start your beats or in what order thats gonna make your music better... keep that in mind

Yours trully..

Rewind<<
Tiago Carvalho