Create an account

or

Thread Starting out - Recording

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
Sujet de la discussion Starting out - Recording
Hey, can anybody help me out?

Im interested in making a home recording studio - i have a budget of 100-$400. I could wait a while and spend more on it $700+ but for now im just thinking of spending this much.

At the moment im recording in a study room but theres no door and the study leads out into a living room and a hallway - so theres a bit of echo.

I've seen a few posts asking about how to get started with home recording, but i'll ask the first question which I haven't seen asked here.

If I record in this room, will this affect my recording? ie. make it worse.
Would it be better to record in my bedroom where its an enclosed space and less echo?

Would it matter where im recording if I have the proper mic/other equipment?

I'm only going to be doing vocals, I need a microphone where I can raise my voice into it and not distort the sound, but I also want the mic to produce a good clear and loud sound. Which would you recommend?

And which other equipment would you recommend to suit my needs?

Obviously I know very little about recording, I have only learnt some basics recently, and for about 6 months I was recording on a USB Mic which wasn't working well for me.

If anybody could help me out that would be appreciated, thanks.

Quote: At the moment im recording in a study room but theres no door and the study leads out into a living room and a hallway - so theres a bit of echo.

It would be better to have a room with no echo because you won't be able to take that echo off after, whereas if you have a dry room you can later add effects with no problem.

As for Mics, the possibilities are endless. how much are you thinking about spending on a mic? Keep in mind that you'll probably also need a preamp, audio interface ( if you don't already have one) , and a mixer.
Well altogether im thinking about 100-400.

What type of mic do you think would be good?
SM58 is a good choice. On sale for under $100. Don't go with a condenser mic. It will pick up too much of the room echo.