or
Create an account

or

Thread Question about sound Quality

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Question about sound Quality
So i have been using Reason for along time, and im not happy with the sound quality anymore. My sound card isnt that great so thats probably why. Anyways, i bought a Fantom x8, and now im looking into an mpc for drums and sampling. (I do hip-hop/R&B mind you)

Question 1: Can i hook my x8 up to a mpc via midi and do melodies on my keyboard, while i use the mpc for drums? I use Pro Tools for recording, so mabey hook them up threw a mixer, and record with protools, idk.?

Question 2: Will i get good quality sound by doing it that way? Im looking for the best sound possible, with out having to use any music software, cuz my computer sucks.

Quote: Question 1: Can i hook my x8 up to a mpc via midi and do melodies on my keyboard, while i use the mpc for drums? I use Pro Tools for recording, so mabey hook them up threw a mixer, and record with protools, idk.?

If you hook up the mpc to the x8, you'll be piloting the mpc with the X8. so everytime you press a key on the x8 you'll be generating a sound on the mpc. I'm not sure you want this. Why don't you just hook up each of the elements to a mixer seperately or into an audio interface?
I just want them to be synced together at the same tempo and all that. So if i hook them up to a mixer i can use my keyboard sounds for the melodies, and the mpc for the drums? Then have my mixer plugged into an audio interface? Thanks
The thing with the MPC is, you need to assign the drums which you are triggering from the MPC on a seperate midichannel. My best guess is that an X8 can pull that off, but I haven't worked with one.

Even the most basic workstations usually have 2 split voices and a "drumchannel". So just look which midichannel the drums are, and which the "normal" synth is, and assign your MPC to that drumchannel. If you're planning on using the sounds on your MPC, just see how to connect the internal midiclocks and keep everything else seperated. So, it keeps it all in sync.

And as for sounds... I reckon that any "real" synth sounds better than a software. But is a matter of taste, though.

However, do ask... why are you using an MPC and an X8? Like I said before, I don't own an X8 (or an MPC for that matter) but by the looks of it, the X8 has a sampling/sequencing part. You could use that instead of the MPC either way I guess.