Create an account

or

Thread [HELP] I'm confused!

• 5 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 [HELP] I'm confused!
Hi!

First of all, I tried to make this post as clear as possible, hope I succeeded :D:

I currently have a quite performing computer, no sound card though (except the one integrated in my motherboard)

I started recording a few songs a year ago, mostly rock songs. I have a keyboard that is connected to my computer using a midi-USB cable. I also have a microphone (a very, very, VERY cheap one... The ones you connect to your motherboard's microphone jack {I don't know how you call it}) that I use to record vocals (poor sound quality). As for my acoustic and electric guitar, I record using my cheap microphone...(yes, the sound is in fact horrible).

I would like to buy a good microphone, maybe two? I started looking at what I needed and in fact...now I'm completely lost. At first, as I am using my on-board sound card, I thought it would be a good idea to get a better sound card. And I thought that with a good sound card I could probably be able to plug-in a good microphone... Thing is that while looking for this, I started hearing about sound card, audio interface, mixer, then I realized I didn't even know what connection/jacks I needed to plug a good microphone (seems like there is more than one type ??? ).

Could someone help me clear this out? Do I need to change my sound card? Can I simply get an audio interface? What type of microphone should I buy if I plan to use it for both acoustic guitar and vocal (maybe electric guitar, but mostly acoustic). In fact, what exactly do I need to buy to be able to record vocals and guitar (with a better sound quality than the one I currently have) ?!?

Thank you

Edit:
Ok maybe I found a way to do it (I don't know if it's a good way) :

-I could get myself a firewire recording interface (like the Cakewalk SONAR PowerStudio 660 or the PreSonus Firebox 6x10)-->So I would not need to buy a new sound card
-A good Condenser Microphone (that I haven't chose yet)
-My keyboard, that is already connected through USB
-My electric guitar that can connect to the recording interface
-My acoustic guitar that I can record with the mic?

Not sure about everything in this config. What do you think ?

Quote: Ok maybe I found a way to do it (I don't know if it's a good way) :

-I could get myself a firewire recording interface (like the Cakewalk SONAR PowerStudio 660 or the PreSonus Firebox 6x10)-->So I would not need to buy a new sound card
-A good Condenser Microphone (that I haven't chose yet)
-My keyboard, that is already connected through USB
-My electric guitar that can connect to the recording interface
-My acoustic guitar that I can record with the mic?

sounds good. i've heard good things about the presonus. have you made a choice yet?
Ok...for the recording interface, I already chose the PreSonus...
As for the microphone, I just don't understand how I should choose with which microphone to go. They all have the same specs, but not all the same price...

For example, The GXL 2400, the MXL V63M, the MXL 992 Large-Diaphragm or the MXL 990s which are all condenser microphone. They all have (about) the same specs

GXL 2400
    Operating Principle: Externally-biased condenser
    Polar Pattern: Cardioid
    Frequency Response: 30Hz to 20KHz
    Sensitivity: -36dBV (16mV) @ 1 Pa
    Impedance: 75 ohms
    Max SPL: 130dB, 1% THD
    Self Noise: 20dBA
    Hi-pass Filter:100Hz, 6dB/oct
    Attenuator: 10dB
    Power Requirements: P48, 3mA

MXL V63M
    Large 1" diaphragm
    6 micron thick diaphragm for high sensitivity and detailed recordings
    Wired with Mogami wire for added clarity
    Balanced, transformerless output for low noise
    Heavy-duty brass enclosure
    30Hz-20kHz frequency response
    Cardioid pickup pattern
    Sensitivity: 15mV/Pa
    Output impedance: 200 ohms
    Max SPL: 130dB

MXL 992

Large gold capsule
    Wide 20Hz-20kHz frequency range
    10dB switchable attenuation
    -10dB low frequency cut
    S/N ratio: 80dB (Ref. 1 Pa, A weighted)
    Power requirement: 48V phantom power

MXL 990s

S/N Ratio: 80dB (Ref. 1Pa A-weighted)
    Equivalent Noise Level: 20dB(A weighted IEC 268-4)
    Max SPL for 0.5% THD: 130dB
    Power Requirements: 48V Phantom Power (+- 4V)
    20mm gold-sputtered, 6-micron diaphragm
    FET preamp with balanced output
    -10dB Pad switch
    150Hz low-cut switch @ 6dB per octave
    Cardioid pattern
    30Hz - 20kHz frequency range
    130dB maximum SPL

Things I would like to know:

What is the maximum SPL?
What is the impedance?
How can I figure out what is the best mic in those ?

Thanks
Microphones are a tricky yet simple thing.

Each microphone has its own sound. Most people can't tell the difference but an experienced audio engineer can. Most studios have many (and I mean many) different microphones and will choose which mic they use based on how they make the instrument sound. Sometimes the $3,000 mic doesn't sound as great as say the $500 mic. Obviously you get what you pay for, but go based on sound, not price.

I have this one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AT2020/

It isn't bad but it isn't great. It sounds a little more high-end heavy, very bright sound.

You could also go with say a Sure SM58 or SM57 which are industry standard dynamic mics.

I also own an audix VX5 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VX5mic/ and it sounds good as well. It gets some nice lower end reproduction but not really heavy.

If all else fails and you still don't know what to do, call a sales engineer at Sweetwater and tell them what you need, what your budget is, and what you are trying to do and they will point you in the right direction.

Good luck.
Thank you !

Helped a lot
I have always, always loved Shure mics