or
Create an account

or

Thread can't decide wich combo i should buy

• 2 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 can't decide wich combo i should buy
this is another combo: a rath amp 50 watt for 180€. I've done some research and its from jurgen rath a designer from hughes and kettner but they don't make em annymore but from what i read they sound pretty good.

http://www.2dehands.be/muziek/muziek-accessoires/gitaarversterker/rath-amp-retro-50w-gitaarversterker-260771648.html
Hey Ruben,

First it's important to note that the amp you get depends on so many different factors in addition to budget. For example:
  • What guitar will you use with the amp?
  • What will you use the amp for? (practice, jamming at home, small gigs?)
  • Do you live in a large house where you can use powerful amps and get loud?
  • What level are you? Just starting out? Playing for a while?

If you're still relatively a beginner, I would go with a modeling amp like a Line 6 Spider IV. It's what I had for a few years when starting out. The sound is clearly not as good as a tube amp using quality pedals, but it gives you a good idea of the different effects that fit your style and helps you get more experimental before investing in higher-quality gear.

Having said that, I can't tell you which of those amps to get as I've never used them. What I CAN say, however, is that I've played a Tubemeister 18 and own a Tubemeister 36, and I absolutely LOVE it! It likes all of my pedals and is pretty easy to dial in a tone. Most importantly, it has the red box function and power attenuator, so I can play at 36, 18, 5, 1 or 0 (i.e. red box), which works out well given the size of my small parisian apartment as well as its proximity to my asshole neighbors!

But I dunno if the Rath compares, especially regarding capabilities/features.

As far as amp manufacturers, I prefer Vox to Peavey and Fender to Marshall, but that means nothing given the variety within each manufacturer's product line. And again, the type of guitar you play and the style of music you play may effect your choice.

Honestly, the best way to find out what you like is to go and test out these amplifiers with your guitar. If it's not possible to test the actual amp for sale, then test the same model in a nearby store.

But so long as they work and aren't in poor condition, then for under 200 bucks, each of these amps seem to be quality amps, so maybe there is no wrong answer?

Hope that helps, sorry I can't do more.