Ibanez SP5 Slam Punk
Ibanez SP5 Slam Punk

Distortion from Ibanez belonging to the SoundTank series.

moixjj moixjj

«  cheap! cheap! »

Publié le 05/21/11 à 04:12
Pedal overdrive / fuzz (something in between) with 3 knob level / tone / gain everything there is more classic. It is made from analog to early 90s.
Note the filthy plastic casing. And then I wonder what went through his head designers Ibanez for us to lay a turd like that. Besides being ugly as all, it is not solid. The knobs are in plastoc fart like nothing strange for a pedal calling themselves "punk slam.
Otherwise there an entrance, exit, and a power supply jack. The battery is housed in an easy to access hatch on top, but that tends to open by itself. And it is always pure cheap plastic.

The configuration is simple yes. No need for manual ... and he has not a thousand sound, there is only one more or less acute and more or less distorted. If you do not like, no chance to get something.

As I said above, there's a very typical 80's / 90's. Not particularly suited for more punk. Looks like more hardcore sound but feeble fm. If the foot responds well to note riffs played by rating, the sound is awful on the agreements. The notes are hot and that makes a block of sound that remind us of our first steps musicos to 14 years when the mistakes were drowned in a distortion not credible.
And yet, despite the poverty of her, I found a use. I set the bottom level, I put the "tone" on the bass and I cut the gain. Connected to a clean tube amp in this config gives a nice light crunch with my tuning drop, better than my overdrive channel, especially for recording riffs. The rest is unusable.

I had bought for my brother in the mid 90s. He turned the pedal and reggae took the dust in a cupboard. I found a month ago, I plugged in, turned knob gain that farted in two, and I disassembled the test. I am currently back in the new case and transferring the components too cheap (like "jack socket", the knobs, the switch ,...).
This effect was funny when he was 16, now it is completely outdated. However, I will change it into a crunch pedal, even put trimpots the internal tone and gain. I go back all in a tin can and presto! I give him a second life. Even an effects pedal does not deserve a face as ugly.