Maxon SD-9 Sonic Distortion
Maxon SD-9 Sonic Distortion

Distortion from Maxon belonging to the 9 (Reissue) series.

LordRiffenstein LordRiffenstein

« Fantastic od/distortion pedal »

Publié le 04/01/11 à 01:40
The SD-9 is a high gain overdrive and distortion pedal. It can also be used nicely as a boost because it has plenty of output. it has a big fat midrange and will work well in a number of applications. I have run it with great results in front of Fender and Marshall amps and it is very versatile. It's definitely not a transparent OD as it firmly puts it's tonal footprint down but it sounds great so who cares! Oh yeah, these are build like a brick!

The SD-9 looks straight forward but it's a bit different. On the stock models, the useable range for the tone control is limit as it tends to get pretty bright, pretty quick. So you have to be carefull with the tone control. A lot of people simple turn it all the way down. I owned a stock model and now have an analogman modded version. The AM-modded version make the range of the tone control more useable and I run mine around 9:00

For me, the SD-9 and definitely the AM-modded version is one of the best pedals you can have. Not only does it sound killer, it also can be used with pretty much any amp and can do a killer boost, od or distortion sound.

I have used mine for so many things, you wouldn't believe it. Even if I don't have it on my board or rack-shelf, I have it with me as it can be a live-safer. I have yet to find an application where it did not sound killer. Most of the time I'm either using it to get a big fat boost on a crunch channel or as an OD/Distortion into a Marshall set clean-ish. It works great in combination with a tubescreamer and boost pedals in front of it.

Fantastic pedal, very versatile, even with the limited range on the tone control. If they could fix the range of the tone control, it would get a 10 all around from me but maybe the tone control is what gives it it's mojo.