Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Mk4
Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Mk4
mooseherman mooseherman
Publié le 02/09/10 à 22:28
This is a phase effect made by one of my favorite companies, Electro-Harmonix. It's an analog pedal that has been around for decades. It doesn't have any Mac/PC capabilities, and isn't MIDI-controlled or rackable.

The editing on this pedal couldn't be simpler. There's the basic 1/4" in and out. There's a knob that allows you to change the rate of phase shift. There's also a switch that changes between two color modes, which each have their own unique properties.

I like using this with my old-school setup, my Strat and Fender Twin. I like this phase because it has a classic vibe that I've heard in later Zeppelin and Floyd songs. These are some of the only records, along with a few other from their era, that actually have a phaser sound that isn't cheesy to my ears. This pedal has true bypass, so when it's off, it doesn't color your sound at all. It gives it a sound that will give your amp a color that isn't typical in phasers nowadays. It's a lot warmer and less "futuristic" sounding than you'd expect. It also doesn't make the sound "muddy" at all, which is what I hate in most phaser/chorus/flanger type effects. It's a bit more drastic than the phase 90, yet still doesn't go over the top. I've been able to emulate so many classic tones with it that I can't even count them all. Sometimes when cranked, it produces a little too much ambient noise for my taste, but this is easily avoided.

I like the fact that this pedal isn't particularly expensive (around $75 usually). I think that for that price, it's not a bad deal at all. I sometimes would prefer this to my usual go-to, the phase 90, when recording guitars (the Phase 90 is better all-around). The warmth and range you get with this can really be inspiring. I would be tempted to use this often, especially since it reminds me so much of Jimmy Page. I'm sure many people would find plenty to like in this pedal.