or
Create an account

or

Thread Electric Guitar and PC: How do I do it??!!

• 16 replies
  • 7 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Electric Guitar and PC: How do I do it??!!
Hi Everybody....
Last time I had a query, I received some real help ! I guess I could do with some more !!
I just bought an electric guitar and want to connect it to my PC.
The soundcard I'm using is Audigy 2 ZS and its manual says that I can plug in the electric guitar into the line-in of the soundcard thru a "Pre-Amp FX box".

The software I'm using is Cakewalk (Plasma and Guitar Studio) and Fruityloops Producer edition.

Now as I understand that there can be two ways to connect the guitar to the soundcard (please correct me if I am wrong):

1. Directly ( using a 1/4" mono to 1/8" stereo adapter). But I guess this gives avery weak input signal to the PC.

2. Connecting the Guitar to an Amp and then the Amp o/p to the PC line-in

I guess the main purpose is to bring the o/p of the guitar to same level as acceptable by the soundcard i/p..

So should I be using a mixer for this or an Amp?
And how do I decide the specifications of the Mixer/Amp when I go to buy these.. what wattage etc?? I am not sure if most of the stuff like POD etc is available in India.
So could you please give me some general guidelines as to how I should go about choosing the Amp. I just need it for connecting with my PC ; nothing more.

Secondly I am confused about whether I should go for an Effects box or rely on software effects for things like distortion , overdrive, flanger etc for my electric guitar?

Looking forward to some suggestions....
Satendra
Show first post

%1$s a écrit I would not lay down any more $$ on anything until you educate yourself on what you have, what you want to do, and how the technology works.

thats the quote of the year.
Hi, I was overlooking this topic and I have a few questions of my own...

I have a Peavy 30 Watt Backstage, but no effects pedals or anything of that sort, so I figure i'd mess around with what the internet may have to offer digitaly as opposed to the physical [ Expensive ] effects at the local music store. :)

Now on back a singal Jack reads "Output" I plugged in a typical Headphone sized cable with adaptor so it fits like a typical cable. I ran the line to the Line In on my pc, showing the music sign going inward, one below from the Music out, and one above the Mic In.

I plugged my guitar in, [ Ibanez Lefty SZ ] and put it into "1" --Now, do I need some special program to recognize my guitar, because neither Goldwave or Sound recorder iterpreted any noise of any sort...any suggestions?
Double click on the speaker icon in your system tray, go to options, properties. Then select "recording" and make sure the "line in" is checked and the fader is up about half way.

If that doesn't do it, then the problem is either a bad cable, bad soundcard, or you don't have Gold Wave our Sound Recorder configured to recognize the line n on the sound card as a recording source.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Hey, Im pretty much on the same line as everone eles here. I Have a [s]line 6 Spider II 112 [/s]amp though.. and a converter(1/4-1/8). so it will not ruin anything if i plug in my adapter from my headphone jack? i dont have the amp yet.. it is shipping now.. but i cant tell if it has the effect loop:o. Do u know if it does? Im looking to start a pretty low budget recording area for me and my friend to record.

THANKS!!:D
Hello beautiful people ;P

I have had this problem for a while now..which is hooking my weapon (sorry,.. guitar) straight into my PC. I was able to hook my guitar straight into my mates PC and record off audacity no problem...but when i tried it was a no go.So i ended up recording my amp with a microphone and an old tape recorder (i am finiancially disabled) so i could just hook my tape recorder to the PC to record off that..but still a no go.

I have a very basic sound card "Vinyl AC'97" yet so does my mate who has no problem recording... i have the know how..but not the know how to make this happen.

And if the solution is to buy another sound card..i would prefer to stick to the old distorted tape recorder.

But yeah..any solutions that doesn't involve money would be mostly appreciated..alot of good tunes are dissapearing in the wind due to this wee problem..major problem actually.

Cheers
Double click on the speaker icon in your system tray, go to options, properties. Then select "recording" and make sure the "line in" is checked and the fader is up about half way.

If that doesn't do it, then the problem is either a bad cable, bad soundcard, or you don't have you recording app configured to recognize the line n on the sound card as a recording source.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Cheers for the reply axeman..yeah that worked, i also had to change the recording attributes to PCM 44.100 kHz, 16 Bit, Mono...it is real silent, so now my task is to find an input enhancer/booster to crank it up ;P

But thanks for that axeman