Bare Knuckle Pickups Aftermath
Bare Knuckle Pickups Aftermath
crankyrayhanky crankyrayhanky

« Lethal Metal midCut Beast »

Published on 07/24/12 at 10:36
I snagged this matched set new off an eBay authorized dealer. Bare Knuckle is known for having some of the best pickups around and you would be hard pressed to find a bad review...and you won't find it here! I put this passive set into my 2000 Gibson Gothic LP. The guitar originally came stock with 490/498. A lot of people rip on these Gibson pickups, but I enjoyed them for over 10 years, recording a lot of material and played a lot of great shows. I always wondered about upgrading- what guitarist doesn't? When the stock bridge pickup went bad, it gave me the chance to plunge into BKs.
I selected the set based on my recent musical changes...I used to reside in Eb and drop Db, sometimes E/dropD...but recently have really enjoyed playing a bit lower in dropC. My material has drifted away from friendlier pop hard rock to hard rock/metal, if that makes any sense. I figured the mid prominence displayed on the BK site for this set would work well...plus, it is one of their newest and most modern offerings. result? Awesome response. My guitar cuts through any mix with pure fire, yet does not get abrasive- a tough balancing act. The lows are super fast responsive to quick picking, tight yet delivers a thunderous low end. I would say these pickups could work in a variety of genres, but if you're reading/considering this, chances are you like a good level of brutality to your playing... this set delivers. My chops are a bit sloppy, and previously I would play most of my leads on the neck pickup. However, this BK ceramic bridge delivers such a pleasing mid and hi frequency, it allows me to jam out without getting spikey or abrasive. It truly is inspirational- and flat out rules for hi gain detuned applications. The alnico neck pickup is sensational, it puts a great smooth huge low end tone to phrases. It somehow delivers HUGE low end without ever getting muddy. I think the heaviness and darkness of the LP body helps make this a great combination, make sure to contact Tim at BK before choosing your pickup. He's known for great customer service and my experience was no different- give him your guitar specs and needs, and he will respond very quickly with great advice. the pickups are a bit pricier, but worth every penny. I'm now looking at replacing all off my guitar pickups with BK, the quality is blowing me away!