Fender Performer 1000
Fender Performer 1000
Dish1 Dish1
Published on 07/25/08 at 15:13
See other reviews where everything is detailed.
Big power reserve, comprehensive connections (speaker, send return, direct line).
Three channels, controls on the front panel, like on a Deluxe reverb or a Twin.
Nice black color.
The pots are a bit cheap, like the handle.
Grey speaker covering, Fender Made in USA logo.
Rather light (big plus!). Footswitch included.
Nothing negative in this regard.

Nothing too complicated.

Its biggest advantage is the clean sound: ultra simple settings, Volume, Treble, Mid and Bass.
It unquestionably has the Fender touch: Brilliant and responsive sound — a classic. This Performer is really worth trying out, at this price point it's impossible to find something better
The lead channels are quite usable, the tube plays well its role.
These are my dialings:
- Clean: Treble set to 5, Mid to 5 and Bass to 7.
- Distortion: Gain set to 2/3 on the rhythm channel, 5 on the lead channel, Treble to 5, Body to 3/4 and Bass to 6. You only need to adjust the power with the volume.
- Reverb at 4 (I agree with the other reviews, it's excellent).

I get a nice clean sound, but it's not aggressive, since I reduce the Treble.
A very nice crunch.

Reading some reviews, I have noticed that certain lucky owners of the Performer are annoyed by the power of the amp. Don't worry, every problem has a solution! You only need to link the Line Out and the AUX Send on the rear. And, oh miracle, the Effects Mix pot on the front works as a Master control! What's more, you will be able to use your amp at home without risking bothering your neighbors. And the sonic capabilities of the amp also increase by mixing the Master you created with the volume and gain controls. Isn't life nice?

The pros: I use it with a cabinet that I made myself with a 15" Eminence, which boosts the low end!!! (Careful: 8 Ohms min)

Don't forget that it's solid-state, meaning that the sound is almost the same, regardless of the power used. On a tube amp the sound changes, evolves, benefits when being pushed. This Performer is generous but it doesn't have the compression nor purity of a tube amp. It has a somewhat clinical side, which is characteristic of solid-state amps.

I solved the speaker issue, the amp's only drawback.

For $325 it's an excellent deal.
My advice is to add to that around $120 for a good speaker or cab with a 15 incher: Is there an amp capable of rivaling with it in terms of sound quality and connections, but also aesthetically, for $450?