Yamaha SW1000XG
Mad Max Mad Max

«  Midi card to do anything »

Publié le 09/12/10 à 05:12
The "everything" XG reduced in size without the disadvantage of the bulk of a keyboard.

I currently use and always with Win XP, since (I think) not to use it with a recent system such as Vista and Seven.

Regarding the instruments, well it's pure quality XG MIDI accompanied by several other banks including GM (TG300B).

Uh! I hear that XG Midi, this date still 90, which means that the sound quality is not exceptional, but the reworking panels via MIDI effects completely compatible with older versions of Cubase ( j'usqu'à SX3 course), it will delight some level.

A small publisher is also provided with the drivers (XG Works), but I did not install XP.
It can also be downloaded directly on the site of yamaha (free or not, I sai more).

We can also add to this map (via suitable connectors) two additional cards (not both at the same time eh, one at a time) that will lead, or extra sounds or is a harmonizer / vocoder (the robotic vocoder) 90 What! by the cons armoniseur done very good job.

Finally, the card itself has a stereo line input with a huge blast like the wind on the roof of the world, a stereo line out L / R (RCA / RCA), a type of digital output SPDIF input / Midi output (connects using a cable special "to host" or 5-pin mini din if I'm wrong), a connector (on the card directly) for plug-in board PLG100 (additional sounds) or PLG100 -VH (Vocal Harmony) and another connector for a direct relationship also with the DS2416 (also from the same manufacturer) which relates the six audio outputs to the inputs of the DS2416 internally via a special cable as well.

Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe; 2.8 Proc 3GB of memory, disk WD Raptor 75 GB and 150 for sound banks.

XP drivers penny ¨ ne not move a hair.
More updates since the map is outdated fall by its manufacturer as the DS2416, but it does not matter, in XP it works fine.

Use with XG Works (acquired for a handful of dollars on the European site of the same name as the map), but also directly into Cubase (anyway, it is designed to normally).

Latency is pretty énnorme I think; the order of 18ms, therefore, impossible to play on live with (lol).

I've never used audio except perhaps to dub tracks via the DS2416 or directly into the EMU 1820M via the SPDIF output numérque
Otherwise in the South, like any self-respecting keyboard is 16 MIDI tracks simultaneously.

GETTING STARTED

Installation Nickel!

2 seconds for drivers; not even need to reboot the PC and presto! may have to play right away.

Incompatibility not known until now except as I said earlier, impossible to install on Vista / Seven.

Config-General of the simplest including Midi, one branch is opened Cubase and we play or have the program.

Actually read the manual for the uninitiated to the South and especially for an external connection with the DS2416.

I use it since I buy and never any problem with.

I did not try others before being the only model (PCI I mean good) in its class to offer as many possibilities of sound and other effects all compatible Cubase.

What I like most is the publisher XG Works that really allows the sound to work again without having to dive into menus tedious as offers other keyboards and samplers today.

What I like least is the breath at the entrance of the cul card that does not save much if in fact this is just the breath of a breeze winter d Moreover, in the modules might draw something immoral or even unknown

Value for money Excellent (well not a current or a sampler akai 2000, but it's worth its weight in gold.

I've redone this choice because I have two cards, two additional PLG100-VH and PLG100.

Images linked to this review

• photo