or
Create an account

or

Thread [Getting started] Should You Go Paperless Onstage?

• 4 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 [Getting started] Should You Go Paperless Onstage?
Should You Go Paperless Onstage?
If you’re one of those performing musicians who needs to bring charts and lyric sheets to the gig or rehearsal, you might want to consider getting rid of all that paper and your music stand, and conveniently viewing and storing all of those documents on an iPad or other tablet. Let’s look at the pros and cons.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
Using the iPad has been a real convenience for me when gigging. Before, I used to have to bring literally three heavy binders worth of music on gigs because I tend to play a lot of requests.

Now with the iPad, I only need bring it and can play those binders worth and more...especially since I can go online and download music on the spot if I don't have a certain request.

Since I'm a pianist, I haven't had the need to purchase a Bluetooth pedal (although I have tried it). I noticed that I am really used to turning pages any way, so using the touch screen to swipe is just as natural.

By the way, there's an added bonus that playing from my iPad is a real attraction to listeners and a conversation opener.
Quote:
By the way, there's an added bonus that playing from my iPad is a real attraction to listeners and a conversation opener.

At the moment, it's definitely a bit of a novelty, but I suspect that it won't be for long. I'm curious, which score reader do you use?
I use three: Sheet Music Direct's iPad app to view any score purchased through them; Musicnotes.com's similar app, and trusty, old iBooks. I scan plenty of pdf scores into it and can read from it fine.

As for the novelty, I would agree that it is still new to people. But I don't think it will die down that soon. The type of people I play for are only consumers of my music, so the idea of having digital music on an iPad is just as intriguing as playing piano in the first place!
That's an interesting idea to use iBooks.