Ibanez EDB605
Ibanez EDB605

5+ string bass guitar from Ibanez belonging to the Ergodyne series.

MGR/Sanka MGR/Sanka

« Ibanez EDB 605 »

Published on 11/28/04 at 15:00
I got this little mama from my first big purchase off eBay, and I paid 500 Australian for it second hand with a Gator hardcase. I wanted to move into progressive rock and I don't think proggies know 4-string basses exist.

The bass and hardcase were good as new when I got them, and I couldn't believe I'd got them for the price I paid.
Well, beauty's only skin deep, so I guess you can call me a shallow, superficial prick whom you never want to see again, no matter how much I call.
Aww, now I feel bad.
But yeah, this thing looks sleek as, and the solid Luthite body makes it weigh as much as a small horse. (Or a very large dog, if you're so inclined). Some might count this as a negative, but I hate the feeling of playing a guitar made of balsa wood.
The active pickups combined with high, mid and low tonal control knobs make for an amazing diversity of sound. I can sound like an upright bass, a church bell, and even a small horse! (Ok, no more animals).
The strings are fairly light, and the action nice n low, and the root of the neck angles off at the higher strings to allow more room for popping (the strings, you pervert).

Probably the only thing I'd whinge about is the tuners aren't the best - I have to retune before every time I play. Oh yeah, and this bass is going to cost me thouands of dollars to buy a stack to do it justice.

The Ergodyne is INDESTRUCTIBLE. This, and cockroaches, are the only things that will survive a global nuclear exchange. (So expect to see a lot of all-bass mutant roach bands if the world stage gets a little too tense).
For the price I paid, this bass easily surpasses all expectations (except the tuning system, whihc I mentioned above). The low B string is a little slacker than it might be, but you have to go up to Warwicks and Spectors to find that sort of feel.

So in short, the EDB 650 Ergodyne bass is excellent value for money. Versatile sound, elegant look, and you could drive a semitrailer (or small horse) over it. Wouldn't part with this bass for almost anything. (And I've plasyed it's successor, the EDA series, and I think it's a step backwards). If you're looking for a first five-string and you don't have a couple of grand to splash, go with this.