Oli Larkin pMix
Oli Larkin has released pMix, a free sound design, composition and performance tool for Mac OS X that allows you to morph between VST plug-in presets.
Presets are represented by coloured balls that are positioned on a 2D plane. The size of each ball and its proximity to the cursor affects the weight of the associated preset in the interpolation.
Morphing between presets can result in hybrid sounds. By constraining sound manipulations within a predesigned "interpolation space" complex transitions can be achieved.
pMix can load four VST2 audio plug-ins. It comes with a suite of plug-ins which cover a range of experimental DSP techniques (noise generators, FM synthesis, formant filtering, frequency shifting etc). These plug-ins can also be used in other VST host applications.
- Realtime VST2 plug-in chainer.
- Live processing of audio input, file playback or instrument plug-ins.
- Multi-layered interpolation approach.
- Visual control interface with real-time feedback.
- Includes a suite of 9 audio FX and generators.
- Options for randomisation.
- Break-point function and "freehand" automation modes.
- Audio file player & recorder built in.
- Controllable via OSC and MIDI.
- Can be used with other applications via Rewire or Soundflower.
Changes from v0.7 (released in 2008):
- Redesigned interface.
- Supports instrument plug-ins.
- Supports tempo synchronisation.
- Now includes a suite of specially designed plug-ins.
Available now for free on the Mac App Store.
Viewers of this article also read...
- 8dio Copperphone Copperphone is a new custom release made out of industrial graded copper pipes cut at different lengths.
- [NAMM] MOTU MicroBook II MOTU unveiled the MicroBook II, an updated version of its audio interface.
- [NAMM] MOTU Digital Performer 8: Full Details MOTU has unveiled Digital Performer version 8, a major upgrade to their audio workstation software.