Mikrosonic SPC - Music Sketchpad
Mikrosonic offers Android users SPC - Music Sketchpad, an app designed to produce, record and share music created from their own loops and sequences.
The Sketchpad introduces the audio “scene”, a 16-pad multi-touch enabled screen that lets you play loops and sequences. While you play, the pads light up rhythmically.
The scene is the main element of the Sketchpad. You can start and stop music by clicking on one pad at a time. Red pads are for playing loops, while blue pads are for playing sequences. To edit, press “edit” and then select the loop or sequence pad you want to work with. Clicking and holding on a pad will activate its volume control.
The first sample view shows the waveform of the sample assigned to the pad you’re editing. Here you will find knobs to adjust the gain, panning and tuning, and control the attack and decay of the sample envelope.
Clicking on “Steps” will take you to a view where you will encounter 16 fields that allow you to control when, and how often, the sample will be played in a pattern. Click on one or more of the 16 fields to set or remove a step. You can program up to 4 different patterns (A, B, C and D) for each pad. Pattern length determines how many bars are played.
Clicking on “Keys” will take you to a keyboard view where you can set individual notes for each step.
On the loop view page, you will find a waveform view of the loop and can use the slicer feature to modify it. You can program up to four variations of the loop for each pad, either by setting the order of the slices yourself or selecting “Shuffle”.
- 16-pad screen mixes loops and sequences
- Edit feature with 4 variations for each loop pad
- Slicer for recombining loop elements
- Waveform display
- Up to 8-bar long loops
Samples and Sequencer
- 4-bar sequencer for each sample pad
- Keyboard for setting note information for each step
- Waveform display
- Gain, pan and tuning knobs
- Envelope control with attack and decay
- Multi-touch control
- Sample/loop load in .wav format up to 24 bit 96 kHz
- Recording of performances in exportable .wav format
- Direct integration of RD3 – Groovebox loops
- File sharing capability
- Comes with 2 pre-programmed scenes
- Additional scenes for download at mikrosonic website
- Android 2.1 or higher
- Screen resolution 800×480 (WVGA) or higher
- 550 MHz CPU or faster supporting ARMv7
- Tested on: Motorola Droid/Milestone, Motorola Defy, Nexus One, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Desire/Desire HD, HTC EVO 4G, Dell Streak
Pricing & Availability
SPC – Music Sketchpad is available for $4.99 in the Android Market.
Viewers of this article also read...
- AcousticsampleS Balani AcousticsampleS has released Balani, a 2 1/2 octave balafon (or balaphon) with small calabash resonators form Guinea.
- reFuse The Swarm The Swarm is based around a bank of eight oscillators that start out tuned in unison.
- Mildon Studios Strummer 2 Mildon Strummer 2 is a MIDI strumming engine that can strum compatible VSTi's and sample players such as Kontakt, SampleTank, G-Player, and others.