or
Create an account

or

Thread Which is the right DAW if you've got a ton of old 4-track tapes?

• 0 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 0 follower
1 Which is the right DAW if you've got a ton of old 4-track tapes?
Hey guys, I'm brand new to StudioAtHome and I'm mainly here because I need advice on which DAW to use. :/ I've got a ton of old 4-track masters that I need to digitize and get cleaned up, and then once that's done I would like to moveon and start recording new stuff - nothing mega-professional but good enough to make the average Joe think it sounds professional.

I've been knocking around with a program called n-Track Studio, which is owned by a company called FA Soft. It's pretty good as far as I'm concerned, a couple glitches, but then I noticed the user manual was clearly written by people for whom English ain't their first language. I checked online and FA Soft's "office" is in Rome, Italy. Talk about losing confidence in a software product. Which is too bad, because I kind of like n-Track, but I don't see much chatter on the boards about n-Track, so I'm thinking it's not particularly popular. Would like to hear other people's thoughts on it, if they've used it.

And now to my main question: according to Wikipedia Cakewalk Sonar seems to be the standard DAW for Windows-based PC's and I was wondering if this might be the route to go for someone like me. The only problem is, about half of the Sonar product seems geared towards MIDI and half towards normal audio recording. I'm just not interested in MIDI - I don't want to fool with it, I just want to write and record music and do your traditional mixing and mastering of songs. Is Sonar worth it? Should I look at any other packages? Any advice from you guys who've worked with a lot of different packages would be helpful...thanks.